By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - OMG... the Economist endorses Obama.

Well, for a foreigner, I was close enough. :)

Around the Network
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
tax hike for people earning $250k. how is that good for the economy?
who will invest?

I heard on the radio today that Obama changed (he is for change) the amount from $250k to $150k.

Hope it doesn't change.

On the campaign trail, in his speeches Obama says 250K$. In his infomercial Wednesday, He said 200K$, but the next day and since he has been back to saying 250K$.

Joe "The" Biden has said 150K$. I don't know if that is his own belief or if he made a mistake.

thanks for clearing that up. 

we shall see what it'll be.

Esmoreit said:
I'd say Obama is the best bet for not just the US, but for the global economy. I read somewhere that he is not only endorsed by the general world populace, but by investors and stockbrokers aswell. A victory for Obama would lead to increased stock growth as traders gain more confidence so.. he'll work the economy even before doing anything :D!

i doubt that very much.

if the wealthy are taxed more than stock market will lose out.

akuma587 said:
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

I heard on the radio today that Obama changed (he is for change) the amount from $250k to $150k.

Hope it doesn't change.

On the campaign trail, in his speeches Obama says 250K$. In his infomercial Wednesday, He said 200K$, but the next day and since he has been back to saying 250K$.

Joe "The" Biden has said 150K$. I don't know if that is his own belief or if he made a mistake.

This is a common misconception.  The $250K amount is for families, and the $150K amount is for single filers.  Most people making that much do have a family, so Obama isn't telling the whole truth, but for all practical points and purposes he is telling most of the truth.  The percentage of people making $150K by themselves is less than 2% of the country.  It might even be less than 1%.

Thanks for clearing that up for me too.

I thought $250k was individual amount - I could live with that, but for family income that's insane.

Let's make it 250k for individuals.

Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

Hope it doesn't change.

This is a common misconception.  The $250K amount is for families, and the $150K amount is for single filers.  Most people making that much do have a family, so Obama isn't telling the whole truth, but for all practical points and purposes he is telling most of the truth.  The percentage of people making $150K by themselves is less than 2% of the country.  It might even be less than 1%.

I thought $250k was individual amount - I could live with that, but for family income that's insane.

What's your rationale?  The percentage of single filers who make over $150,000 is already in the 1% range.  And only their income over $150,000 would be included in the higher tax bracket.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
I remember asking my uncle, who is the Research Director for Gov. Granholm, who the he and his fellow Democrats feared the most in the general election. I was suspecting him to say McCain or Giuliani, but he surprised me when he intimated that they feared Thompson the most. I figured he was the GOP's best shot...and so did the Dems. As you guys pointed out, and to the chagrin of the Republicans, he was a lackluster candidate. Haha...silly Republicans.

I agree.  Thomson was the best one.  But he didn't do a good job at all.

go Check out what he said recently.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47364&start=0

akuma587 said:
Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

Hope it doesn't change.

What's your rationale?  The percentage of single filers who make over $150,000 is already in the 1% range.  And only their income over $150,000 would be included in the higher tax bracket.

Living in So. Cal.  There are so many couples who work very hard to live in a good neighborhood.  $250k a year is not that much for a decent house, three cars, and three kids?  

why would you want to punish them?  how are they hurting our society?

Individuals making over $250k - I can understand.

It's not that we want to punish them, it's that they can afford to pay more.

Also, the family making $250k, in a plan that only raises taxes on amounts over $250k, doesn't pay more.

And seriously, $250k is a lot of money per year, even for a five-person family. I'm not saying that high spending can't make it SEEM like not that much, but it's actually quite a bit. Remember, only the amounts ABOVE that would see a tax hike.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

Hope it doesn't change.

Living in So. Cal.  There are so many couples who work very hard to live in a good neighborhood.  $250k a year is not that much for a decent house, three cars, and three kids?  

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Coca-Cola said:
akuma587 said:
Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

Hope it doesn't change.

yeah!  hurt the ones that work hard.

I'm not crying over it cause we don't make that much money but I do feel bad for those Hard Working people.

$250k a year for family in So. Cal. really is not that much.

If Obama really wants to change, then let's have flat tax!  Tax everyone who makes over $30k a year.