By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - For peopl in US: do ouknowhow to drive a stick?

Some say it's a lost art in the US, personally I would buy a manual car f I lived there so no ne would borrow my car

EDIT: sorry for the typos my wireless keyboard's battery is running out of power...

Around the Network

Do we know how to drive a stick?

Yes, yes I do.

Are any of my vehicles manual?

No, no they are not. I don't care about uber control and racing. I care about ease of use and automatic is FTW.

superchunk said:

Yes, yes I do.

No, no they are not. I don't care about uber control and racing. I care about ease of use and automatic is FTW.

I have never tried an automatic car... How do you get it to shift to a lower gear when you need more acceleration? Does it shift when you press the pedal down harder?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
superchunk said:

Yes, yes I do.

I have never tried an automatic car... How do you get it to shift to a lower gear when you need more acceleration? Does it shift when you press the pedal down harder?

If you car actually needs to more power to drive, say uphill or something, then yes it will downshift automatically. Plus all automatic cars still have the ability to force the car to shift into other gears. But, I really don't see anyone would normally need this.

It happens all the time. Let's say I'm overtaking a car and it's not happening fast enough. I might change to a lower gear (usually 3 if it's on the highway) to get extra acceleration for a few seconds.

Around the Network

It's called kick-down. When you suddenly press harder on the pedal to accelerate harder, your gearbox will automatically downshift.

I'm Canadian and I have never driven manual.

NJ5 said:

It happens all the time. Let's say I'm overtaking a car and it's not happening fast enough. I might change to a lower gear (usually 3 if it's on the highway) to get extra acceleration for a few seconds.

Just press the acceleration more?

I don't drive stick, it's too annoying, though I have tried it.

Automatic is fine so long as you're not a street racer.  Or have a lead foot.

To overtake, just merge, and press the pedal down and it'll kick the acceleration up.  The cars are pretty smart.

Dogs Rule said:
It's called kick-down. When you suddenly press harder on the pedal to accelerate harder, your gearbox will automatically downshift.

I'm Canadian and I have never driven manual.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering!

@DMeisterJ: I guess it's annoying when you learn to drive on an automatic. Otherwise it isn't annoying for most people AFAIK.

I'm not saying manual is better than automatic, nowadays some automatic transmissions can be superior for taking control of the car, I was just wondering if forum member from US know how to use a stick, I prefer manual myself. One friend of mine that lives in US bought a manual car there and he told me that the seller tried to convince him to buy an automatic, that's pretty weird...

I don't know anyone who drives stick, I think everyone I know drives automatic. But my bro had a stick before.