By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pre-owned market is "defrauding the industry"

And the push for Net distribution and dl only consoles gets a +1....

Headline 2018=

GameStop files bankruptcy due to near 100% downloadable game demand

Around the Network

They should just start putting in a 1 time pin number that unlocks extra characters, levels, gear, whatever in every game. Then have QUALITY DLC set up that will be released every little while for the first few months. That will make people hold off selling a game after a week. Could gamestop still sell used copies for as much as they do without that pin number?

Back in the day I used to rent games to see if I liked it. If I did I would buy it if not I would move on. That would still work fine if a PIN was implemented.

What if they made LBP a game you can't play coop and play more then one other users level a day without the code? Wouldn't that make more people buy the game new? Why would any developer care about giving a gamer a full experience that is buying it used? They want sales!

Kylie, that's a great idea... Take RB2 for example. If a used buyer wanted those 20 extra songs, EA should make them available for $10-15 extra... That actually works better than my original idea because then the dev gets additional money for a used game.

The key would be that deva don't abuse the system and start charging for key content.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Hurts the industry, helps me. I bought NiGHTS for Wii last Xmas and really regret it; it sold for $25 used 2 months later. This year, I am avoiding Wario Land and Little King's story. Wario Land basically flopped, and I am confident LKS will flop as well. I want both games, but 1 sale won't make a difference, so why not pick both up next spring for $20 each?

Kasz216 said:
I think the real problem is why don't people go back to old games?

People go back to reread old books, people go back to listen to old cds... etc

Could it be that just the games just aren't good enough currently?

That 99% of "Epic game stories" would be regulated to saturday morning cartoon or straight to DVD release?

Yep, most games just aren't that good. I hang on to all my games now, but most games from this gen arn't worth replaying. I will list the one's I have played that I think are:

-Geometry Wars

-Smash Bros Brawl

_Banjo Kazooie

-Little BIg Planet

-Viva Pinata

-Mario Kart DS

-Tertis DS

...Thats it. Most games just aren't worth more than playing through the story mode, playing multiplayer a bit, then shelfing/reselling the game.

Around the Network

So Zero Originality seems to have gotten kicked off of YouTube.  Here is the (first half of the) first episode at GameTrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/263243.html

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I buy a lot of used games. There are two main reasons.

First -- price. Used games are generally 10 percent cheaper, with another 10 percent with a discount card. And you can generally find a used copy in near mint condition (and they are labled used).

Second -- preview. Used games can generally be tried and then returned. Gamestop has a seven-day policy. New games cannot be retuned (EB Games, a decade ago, allowed you to return new or used in 10 days. Talk about reselling of new games).

I buy more games new than most people do -- 6 to 10 per year -- so I don't think I am killing the industry.

And if a manufacturer ever used technology to prevent used game sales, then I would not be surprised to see its product not carried by Gamestop. It almost came to that with the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

There is nothing wrong with buying second hand games.

Final-Fan said:

So Zero Originality seems to have gotten kicked off of YouTube.  Here is the (first half of the) first episode at GameTrailers:

I got through about 1 minute of Mumbly Mumblington's very aptly titled thing before I shut it off. Neat, I get it. There's alternatives to Gamestop. There always have been, and yet people don't use them. Shocking.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Frodaddyg said:
Final-Fan said:

I got through about 1 minute of Mumbly Mumblington's very aptly titled thing before I shut it off. Neat, I get it. There's alternatives to Gamestop. There always have been, and yet people don't use them. Shocking.

I admit it's a bit much to ask you to sit through several episodes of that thing, but he really does do a great job of listing every one of Gamestop's deficiencies in terms of what we were talking about (along with many other unsavory qualities the stores have which are less relevant to our discussion).  Just keep in mind that the minute you saw was just the warm-up. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!