By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubuntu 8.10 is now Live!

Dogs Rule said:
Maybe I'll do that when I do a fresh install, but how is that better than just backing it up to an external HDD and pasting it back in?

I was going to say welcome to the site, but you've been here for 11 months. :)

Don't copy any of the config files in /home. The chance of breakage is high if you do.

As for your eye candy, what kind of integrated graphics, exactly? Manufacturer and model? If it isn't good enough or is too obscure, then Linux may not support AIGLX (and therefore the eye candy) on it.

Around the Network

The label on the Desktop says "Intergrated ProSavageDDR graphics" with up to 32MB shared video memory.

Dogs Rule said:
The label on the Desktop says "Intergrated ProSavageDDR graphics" with up to 32MB shared video memory

It will never work. The card isn't good enough to run the eye candy, and the driver doesn't support the neccessary extensions to make it work even if was.

Dogs Rule said:

I was going to say welcome to the site, but you've been here for 11 months. :)

Actually I only started posting yesterday :p So thanks!

About the /home partition thing.

First, as I was told years ago, I made a partition for /home and when I installed a new system, I was mounting this partition and it was ok.

But at this time, installing linux was a pain anyway, so tweaking some config files in my home was not the biggest challenge.

Then, when installing linux became really easy, most of the pain involved was because of broken config files in my /home.

So I decided to make a /home/bokal/Documents partition.
And when I install a new system, /home is fresh and clean and I only have to mount my Documents partition.

And now I have a NAS, so my /home/bokal/Documents is a NFS share and I don't even bother partitioning my hard drive.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Downloading now.

The most important change for me is the inclusion of a working, open-source 3D driver for R500+ Radeon cards. fglrx sucked.

The liveUSB thing is pretty good too.

Thank God.  My ATi X1950XTX has been feeling so neglected.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Bokal said:

And when I install a new system, /home is fresh and clean and I only have to mount my Documents partition.

And now I have a NAS, so my /home/bokal/Documents is a NFS share and I don't even bother partitioning my hard drive.

Can you point me at a guide to put my /Documents on a seperate partition and not have it break?

Ohh great! I was really impatient about it... Going to upgrade and see how it is. ^^

Unfortunately, Openoffice.org 3.0 was too late to be included by default in 8.10.

Instructions on how to force an upgrade can be found here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

Soleron said:

Bokal said:

Can you point me at a guide to put my /Documents on a seperate partition and not have it break?

Your looking for a doc about fstab then.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

for example.

If you need more help, PM me.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts