Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide PS3 sales beat XBOX 360 in Q2

DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
outlawauron said:
kirby007 said:
outlawauron said:

It's the same with MS and Nintendo. All they care about it shipping to retailers.

all they care about is making money...

Exactly. And they get that money from shipping their product to retailers.

So they aren't losing money with every console they ship?

What does that have to do with what he said?

Yes, they lose money with every shipped console, but what does that have to do with retailers paying them for the consoles?  It's not that complex.

Retailers pay Sony for consoles, Sony ships consoles.  Sell-through is irrelevant as they don't get their money from us, but from retailers.  Yes, they lose money on every console sold, but that doesn't mean they don't get paid for shipping their consoles to retailers.

correct but why would you do that, it is like selfdestruction

making losses on the things you sell is bad for the continuancy of the compagny

maybe i should have said profit?

Because the more systems that are out there, the more possible profit.  More money is made off of games, And severely overpriced accessories.  The more systems, the more accessories and games to be bought, therefore the more money to make. 

This is the general theory in taking a loss-leading strategy.

cool

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
JGarret said:
Wot?

The Playstation 3 shipped more consoles to retailers between July 1 and September 30 than the the XBOX 360 did, even though the 360 had a price drop and a fire sale in between these three months in all 3 major territories.

I think you have to realize thought that the PS3 was beating the 360 prior to the price drop in just about all regions every month. September was really the only month where it picked up sales and started to pull away. Q3 the 360 will have sold more units than the PS3.

SlipperyMooseCakes said:
DMeisterJ said:
JGarret said:
Wot?

The Playstation 3 shipped more consoles to retailers between July 1 and September 30 than the the XBOX 360 did, even though the 360 had a price drop and a fire sale in between these three months in all 3 major territories.

I think you have to realize thought that the PS3 was beating the 360 prior to the price drop in just about all regions every month. September was really the only month where it picked up sales and started to pull away. Q3 the 360 will have sold more units than the PS3.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Neos said:
looking it at another way;

ps3 shipped more but sold the same amount of stock
x360 shipped less but (assumable) sold the same amount of stock

:>

Wishful thinking.

It it ships more is because retailers buys more giving their usual sales.So 95% it is selling more.

Imalwayswrong_Tyagi said:
SlipperyMooseCakes said:
DMeisterJ said:
JGarret said:
Wot?

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Yeah and if I said the 360 would outsell the PS3 in Japan for 6 weeks straight you wouldn't believe that either. Anything is possible. More than likely the 360 + Economy + Games Library = a lot of sales.

Around the Network

xbox360 annually sells less than the previous year.

Instead PS3 annually sells more of the previous year despite costs x3 xbox360.

MS and Sony knows this, and for this reason MS reduces every 3 months xbox360 price and instead Sony does not reduce the price of PS3

Wow that is just not good for MS. Sony struggles during the quarter and makes no real attempt to do anything big while MS does the exact opposite of that and still can't beat it. This is not good for MS at all. Can praise whatever in Japan or E/O but it means nothing when America is faltering with a pricedrop comparatively and the increases in the other areas aren't enough to make up the difference.

Daxter210 said:

xbox360 annually sells less than the previous year.

Instead PS3 annually sells more of the previous year despite costs x3 xbox360.

MS and Sony knows this, and for this reason MS reduces every 3 months xbox360 price and instead Sony does not reduce the price of PS3

MS has stopped manufacturing the Elite and the Pro.  You heard it here from Dexter210 first!

"What does that have to do with what he said?

Yes, they lose money with every shipped console, but what does that have to do with retailers paying them for the consoles? It's not that complex.

Retailers pay Sony for consoles, Sony ships consoles. Sell-through is irrelevant as they don't get their money from us, but from retailers. Yes, they lose money on every console sold, but that doesn't mean they don't get paid for shipping their consoles to retailers."

But problem is that it isn't that simple. If you produce more consoles than retailers can sell, then retailers won't buy new consoles before they have sell those consoles which are in warehouse. What can you do? You have big money deals with subcontractors and you have factories full of workers who want they salaries, so you can't just sit down and wait that retailers will start buying your consoles again. You got to produce even more consoles although old ones haven't been bought yet. Then you need to rent warehouses for all those consoles, which you can't sell for retailers and that is going to cost A LOT of money (company which I work with was forced to do same and trust me, after that our bonuses haven't been even close what they used to be). 

If you are lucky, market starts buying more of your product and you can sell all those consoles, but if you are unlucky, you will go same way as Motorola. Down to the toilet. 

Microsoft did make same mistake with Xbox 360, when they pushed those 10 million consoles to markets too fast in first full year of XBox 360. They were forced to ramp down production of Xbox 360 almost half a year and wait that retailers have sell consoles from their storage. If you ramp down you production, it's very hard to get it up and running again. Thats why there were shortages of XBox 360 during next Christmas and all the way next years April.

This Christmas will show what will happen to Sony. If they sell really well, then they have no worries in the world, but if economics caught them they pants down, next spring will be all hell for them.