By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Worldwide PS3 sales beat XBOX 360 in Q2

And didin't Sony said it will release only consoles what have been sold, not shipped some time ago?

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:
And didin't Sony said it will release only consoles what have been sold, not shipped some time ago?

no, they report what they have send to retailers now, instead of what they have sent to the distribution warehouses

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Simulacrum said:

sold to retail

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Neos said:
looking it at another way;

ps3 shipped more but sold the same amount of stock
x360 shipped less but (assumable) sold the same amount of stock

:>

Good thing that Sony is more concerned with Shipment numbers than sell-through, seeing as that they don't get paid for every PS3 sold, but every PS3 shipped.

really, so they finally make a profit on the ps3?

I don't see where I said that.

:S

DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Neos said:

Good thing that Sony is more concerned with Shipment numbers than sell-through, seeing as that they don't get paid for every PS3 sold, but every PS3 shipped.

there

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
kirby007 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Neos said:

there

I said "get paid" not "make money".  Do stores not pay for the systems they sell?  Or does Sony give away PS3s?  No, they buy them, so Sony "get's paid" for every PS3 they ship to retailers.

You simply misunderstood.

edit: cleared up

DMeisterJ said:

true, but doesn't that mean that for everytime they get paid they increase their loss?

"Good thing that Sony is more concerned with Shipment numbers than sell-through, seeing as that they don't get paid for every PS3 sold, but every PS3 shipped."

Well in fact it isn't good thing. If you ship more consoles than retail dealer can sell-through, then you risk that all shipments will be canned and there will be huge discounts of you product when retail dealer warehouses are full. If you don't crush the price below all production costs or put total stop to production you have very VERY bad problem in your hands.

Motorola did have same situation when they did try to compete with Nokia in low cost mobile phone models and filled retail dealer warehouses faster than dealers could sell-through. that bad jugment make Motorola drop from second biggest mobile phone manufacturer to third...fourth...fifth...somewhere below all other phone manufacturers and they are still dropping. So NOT GOOD!!!!

Daffy said:

"Good thing that Sony is more concerned with Shipment numbers than sell-through, seeing as that they don't get paid for every PS3 sold, but every PS3 shipped."

Well in fact it isn't good thing. If you ship more consoles than retail dealer can sell-through, then you risk that all shipments will be canned and there will be huge discounts of you product when retail dealer warehouses are full. If you don't crush the price below all production costs or put total stop to production you have very VERY bad problem in your hands.

Motorola did have same situation when they did try to compete with Nokia in low cost mobile phone models and filled retail dealer warehouses faster than dealers could sell-through. that bad jugment make Motorola drop from second biggest mobile phone manufacturer to third...fourth...fifth...somewhere below all other phone manufacturers and they are still dropping. So NOT GOOD!!!!

Now I'm confused, where did Sony performed better than MS ??

The title talks about sales, but I read "shipped" here...

Other thing, shipped doesn't necessary means payed... I know that some company use credit lines with their retailers... the money come after...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.