By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scary report on declining oil production (or "get ready to dump your car")

NJ5 said:
Million said:
I was looking to get a drivers license but I think i'll just stick to public transport for now.

I got a driving license 7 years ago, used to drive when I was in Portugal (though not every day).

Now I'm in Sweden and I just use public transportation. I'm not sure I'll get a car, even if I do it won't be for commuting. It's probably cheaper to just rent a car when I really need one (for example for moving to another house or some short vacation).

How much is it there per ltr/petrol?

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:

How much is it there per ltr/petrol?

About 11.3 Kroner per liter right now (i.e. 5.5 US dollars per gallon).

There's a high tax on fuel in European countries to discourage use of cars and fund public transportation.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Most easy to access conventional crude is already being used so further production comes at a massive expense and several years of development. From what I hear (and I live in oil-town), the falling price of oil is not the primary reason why oil companies are cutting back or development (after all, many still expect $100+ oil next year). The oil companies fear windfall energy taxes and carbon taxes and are not willing to spend Billions in development for such little gain; after all, they can make far more profit if they don’t develop the resources and let oil skyrocket to $500 a barrel.

Yeah NJ. Most in US don't get it that if u tax big oil they will increase the fees and gas prices per gallon. Economics 101 is futile here and a lot of extreme leftists are getting the cash to let it fly. ahem Barney Frank, BO, Chris Dodd, and god-aweful Nancy Pelosi.

havent people been saying this for 40+ years now?

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Oil is going to be around for a while, I wouldn't be worried.

MrBubbles said:
havent people been saying this for 40+ years now?

Not the IEA. In fact they're usually pretty optimistic.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

artificial gas price increases are go

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Hopefully it will lead to people accepting smaller, smarter vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Sucks to be a car company now.