By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scary report on declining oil production (or "get ready to dump your car")

An important report has just come out of the International Energy Agency. The peak of oil production (commonly known as peak oil) has been reached, and annual oil production will be dropping by 6.4% - 9.1% a year from now on.

If you're dependent on a car, start getting ready to not being able to use it as much.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20602099&sid=arn1g3qUqKAI&refer=energy

Oct. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Global crude-oil output is falling faster than expected, leaving producers struggling to meet demand without extra investment, the Financial Times said, citing a draft of an International Energy Agency report.

Annual production is set to drop by 9.1 percent in the absence of additional investment, according to the draft of the agency's World Energy Outlook obtained by the newspaper, the FT reported. Even with investment, output will slide by 6.4 percent a year, it said.

The shortfall will become more acute as prices fall and investment decisions are delayed, the newspaper said. The IEA forecasts that the rising consumption of China, India and other developing nations requires investments of $360 billion a year until 2030, it said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I dumped my car a year and a half ago.

I guess I'm a psychic genius and brilliant with money.

It all looks like that but in a years time I bet not much difference will be noticed at all and no-one will be dumping cars.

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

The thing is that during the 150$ per barrel period most oil companies said that they would use the extra money for investments in production of oil.

Unfortunately for us, most big companies got greedy, and instead of actually modifying their technology, they started buying out their own stock market shares for all that money, just to get more money in the future.

Now, when the oil prices dropped like a rock, the whole procedure bit them in the ass, but unfortunately, it will bite us as well.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Menago KF said:
The thing is that during the 150$ per barrel period most oil companies said that they would use the extra money for investments in production of oil.

Unfortunately for us, most big companies got greedy, and instead of actually modifying their technology, they started buying out their own stock market shares for all that money, just to get more money in the future.

Now, when the oil prices dropped like a rock, the whole procedure bit them in the ass, but unfortunately, it will bite us as well.

That period was so short that I doubt it could have much impact. Besides, even if they had started a lot of new projects they would most likely be stopping them now that the recession is reducing oil demand.

The big problem is that when the economy starts getting better there will be lack of supply, which may well prevent the economy from healing. This is why governments have to force investment in renewables and public transportation even though energy is cheap right now.

Whether I trust that this will happen is another question entirely... Some countries will cope better, some will cope worse. All will suffer because a lot of our crucial activities are still dependant on oil (farming for example).

Around the Network
ultimate_123 said:
It all looks like that but in a years time I bet not much difference will be noticed at all and no-one will be dumping cars.

Tell that to all the folks who already had to dump their cars (either due to high fuel prices, because they lost their jobs or both).

Good times to be a biker!

I was looking to get a drivers license but I think i'll just stick to public transport for now.

@Million Yeah I take the DC metro. www.wmata.com

Million said:
I was looking to get a drivers license but I think i'll just stick to public transport for now.

I got a driving license 7 years ago, used to drive when I was in Portugal (though not every day).

Now I'm in Sweden and I just use public transportation. I'm not sure I'll get a car, even if I do it won't be for commuting. It's probably cheaper to just rent a car when I really need one (for example for moving to another house or some short vacation).