By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - US Conducts Raid Inside Syria

So I guess McCain will be condemning these tactics as us attacking Syria and Pakistan as he did in the last debate.

Around the Network

Violating a nation's sovereignty-especially a West Asian nation- to kill a few terrorists is tantamount to the lernaean hydra; we may kill one, but two more will replace the one that was killed. I hope the next president will abolish this foolish strategy.

Jackson50 said:
Violating a nation's sovereignty-especially a West Asian nation- to kill a few terrorists is tantamount to the lernaean hydra; we may kill one, but two more will replace the one that was killed. I hope the next president will abolish this foolish strategy.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Unless the strike is on a huge target - think bin Laden or close - this kind of thinking will only cause more damage in the long run.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The only other target (sans UBL) that could conceivably justify an operation such as this is al-Zawahiri. These two have accrued this mythology in which they are believed to be invincible. I doubt there would be much operational damage to Al-Qaida if these two are either captured or eliminated, but the psychological damage could be massive.

Jackson50 said:

Exactly.  People think terrorist leaders are different than other terrorists.  They aren't!  They are just crazier and their lives have probably been more fucked up by invading forces, which is what made them so pissed off.  You destroy people's lives and they will retaliate against you. 

New leaders will rise up to replace the old leaders if we keep waging the war on terrorism in the same way.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Jackson50 said:

Exactly.  People think terrorist leaders are different than other terrorists.  They aren't!  They are just crazier and their lives have probably been more fucked up by invading forces, which is what made them so pissed off.  You destroy people's lives and they will retaliate against you. 

New leaders will rise up to replace the old leaders if we keep waging the war on terrorism in the same way.

Well, if you get the high-profile guys, it might cause enough internal damage (both operational and psychological) to make the strike worth it.

The thing is that it causes such hatred in the hearts and minds of the population that unless there are enormous rewards to be found using these kinds of tactics, they're not going to be worth it.

Clearly the best way to fight this terrorism isn't to send in helicopters and troops - its projects like the Awakening in Iraq.

The best way to fight terrorism is quit giving people a reason to hate the U.S.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:

That's really a ridiculous notion. There are groups attacking almost every Western nation they can find. Just "letting things be" isn't a sound solution in this case.

Of course, that doesn't mean the US needs to be meddling in every world situation they feel like, either. Even if the US pulled back every military force and gave Israel the cold shoulder, there would be terrorists who want to bomb us. We have money and a different attitude about life. Don't ever convince yourself that religious fanatics need a sound reason to declare war on another people.

rocketpig said:
akuma587 said:

That's really a ridiculous notion. There are groups attacking almost every Western nation they can find. Just "letting things be" isn't a sound solution in this case.

Of course, that doesn't mean the US needs to be meddling in every world situation they feel like, either. Even if the US pulled back every military force and gave Israel the cold shoulder, there would be terrorists who want to bomb us. We have money and a different attitude about life. Don't ever convince yourself that religious fanatics need a sound reason to declare war on another people.

I absolutely agree, and plenty of people in THIS country fall into that category as well.  More people than I would like to admit look at us being in the Middle East as some kind of holy war.

My counterargument is that the true fanatics need the support of people who aren't fanatics to accomplish very much as terrorists.  I estimate that the true religious fanatics who are terrorists are probably about 10-30% of whatever terrorist sect you choose.  The rest are just regular people who are pissed off and got drug into the conflict for whatever reason.  They joined because the interventionist policies of western nations have given them a reason to fight and gave into religious extremism because it seemed completely justified to them that they should attack country's with selfish ideologies and heavy-handed militarism to back up those ideologies.

Most terrorists are terrorists in response to Western interventionism.  I agree that some percentage would be terrorists no matter what we did, but they certainly wouldn't be as strong of a force if they didn't have the regular people who have become terrorists to support them.