By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is A "Casual Game"?

I hear the word "casual" being bandied about recently. I, personally, don't think that there's such a thing as a "casual gamer" or casual games" - it seems like an attempt by a bunch of soccer 'moms' and old people to try to place themselves in some sort of elite, games-are-not-all-I-do group, in comparison to those supposedly gritty/realistic/skill-requiring "hardcore gamers."

So, convince me that "casual games" actually exist. How do you define a "casual game" - or, for that matter, a "casual gamer"? What creates such a stark difference between "casual" and "hardcore"?

Around the Network

For me a casual game is a game I can sit down and have fun with for like 10 minutes or something! It´s not like with some games as for example Final Fantasy that you need a lot of time to play. If I have just half an hour or something like that, I don´t want to start up games like FF because that is a game I need more time to play. So my meaning is that a casual game is something you don´t need so much time to sit down with.

But thats just my opinion!

a game that my gran can play LOL

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Oh, i see.. a parody of Garcian Smith's thread.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||