By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth buying Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi (Wii)?

December's issue of Official Nintendo Magazine (released 24th October) has just reviewed Mushroom Men, and it scored 86%

They haven't posted the review online yet so I can't link to it but to paraphrase their summary section:

Positives: Fun & deep, with large levels, lots of replay value and impressive visuals

Negative: Annoying camera

They also said it woud've got their gold award apart from the camera.

I've bolded the "impressive visuals" since I know that early screenshots had put some people off. Personally, I think the screenshots in the magazine look great, and much better than ONM's preview shots here

I've been interested in this game for a while - it looks like a great tongue-in-cheek sci-fi/fantasy platformer, but I'm a bit put off by the camera complaints. I can't stand falling off platforms etc. just because of some dodgy camera.

So - what are your thoughts? Has anyone seen any other reviews / previews? Do you think the screenshots are ok despite previous concerns? Should I buy it? Will you?!

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3308-4850-9342 / STEAM ID: makepeacefox

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

Disloyal member of the LFGM

Around the Network

This is the game, more than any other, that I think will be completely lost in the shuffle.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Why do you think that, Stof? Do you think that it is just not a good enough example of the type of game it is, and with too small a potential market, so there will always be other games that people interested in it would rather buy?

-Not that I'm trying to put words into your mouth :)

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

stof said:
This is the game, more than any other, that I think will be completely lost in the shuffle.

So wait till January and pick it up in the bargin bin!

flagship said:
stof said:

So wait till January and pick it up in the bargin bin!

-I thought about that, but to be honest, if I'm going to buy it I'd rather buy it soon after release and show the developer some support. It's only £24.99 to preorder here.

Though perhaps that low price isn't a great sign!

Around the Network

So 21 November, eh? 1 month. I'm interested in this game. Glad to hear it has lots of replay value (length is very important to me for games). As Little King's Story is delayed for Europe, I might get this.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I would get it. Its a new (and apperently high quality ) IP for Wii, and how many of those do we get? Besides, like you said, we need to support this. OF course if your on the fence id wait for more reviews, but the game looks awesome already. If the camera is controlable it wont be a problem for me.

Voltaire said:
I would get it. Its a new (and apperently high quality ) IP for Wii, and how many of those do we get? Besides, like you said, we need to support this. OF course if your on the fence id wait for more reviews, but the game looks awesome already. If the camera is controlable it wont be a problem for me.

The review says that the camera is controllable in that you can focus it back behind the main character Pax, but that you can't lock it onto enemies.

The game always seemed interesting to me, the bad thing though is that considering the huge amount of crap released every week on the Wii, if this game is not advertised it will sell on par with crappy games. This game is unknown outside the internet.

De Blob for example is showing strong legs and it's being advertised. It will be hard to see this become a hit if no one knows about it. I believe you should buy it considering the low price, previews are nothing but positive.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

What I think is great about this game, and Little King's Story, is that they are real quality games.

Other good third party games on Wii, like de Blob, Boom Blox, and to a certain degree Zack and Wiki, are games that would never be considered good on another platform. They're minigames. They're fun, but by no means real quality titles.

This game might be. It's original, and a full game. I'm just hoping it has a story that's longer than 6 hours.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS