By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales (10/23)

Diomedes1976 said:
Previous Castlevania have bombed in Japan ,so its normal this one hasnt done too well.

Tenchu bombs as well .....

Japanese gaming is in very bad shape ,japanese dont care about HD consoles and the Wii is only having success because casual games and the bigger Nintendo franchises nearly everything else bombs terribly .

The problem is that Japanese citizens are traveling on trains a lot and they are only able to bring portables with them which means less time with consoles.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Previous Castlevania have bombed in Japan ,so its normal this one hasnt done too well.

Japanese gaming is in very bad shape ,japanese dont care about HD consoles and the Wii is only having success because casual games and the bigger Nintendo franchises nearly everything else bombs terribly .

The problem is that Japanese citizens are traveling on trains a lot and they are only able to bring portables with them which means less time with consoles.

I could be wrong but I don't see any significant change in the japanese transportation system in the last 10 years or so, so the time they are spending in trains hasn't changed between the PS1/PS2 era and now...

They are probably playing in the  trains now while they were not in the past but that should not eat into their console time.

What might is the money they spend on these games they play during their commute. But I am doubtfull it affects their gaming budget that much.

One factor could be they got so addicted in those games they play during the comute that they keep playing them once back home, I dunno, that's a possibility...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ouch for Tenchu. It bombed.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yakuzaice said:
Soriku said:
Knee-jerk? This is happening to all systems. I've noticed this with many games across many systems. Don't accuse me of that bull.

Noticed what? No advertising in Japan? Like I said, you don't seem to actually know how Tenchu was advertised, and yet once you found out it was under 10k, you immediately blamed the lack of advertising. Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

The truth. Back on topic, no figures for Garnet Chronicles?

PSN - hanafuda

mrstickball: If you compare it to the PS1 and PS2 versions yes, if you compare it to the 360 and DS versions, no.

And the DS and 360 games were the last ones released, which means that the series is on a steep decline. But you always like to downplay anything that's not MS related, like you did with PS3 yesterday.

I expect a bit more of coherence from mods, but oh well, most of the mods are biased towards one company, you are doing your best ^^

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
mrstickball: If you compare it to the PS1 and PS2 versions yes, if you compare it to the 360 and DS versions, no.

And the DS and 360 games were the last ones released, which means that the series is on a steep decline. But you always like to downplay anything that's not MS related, like you did with PS3 yesterday.

I expect a bit more of coherence from mods, but oh well, most of the mods are biased towards one company, you are doing your best ^^

Did you ever notice that Tenchu for 360 wasn't Tenchu 3 or Tenchu 4? It was an offshoot. Just like Shadow Assault.

It's just me, but when your last main Tenchu sold 250,000 units (give or take), and the new one debuts insanely below that, it may be an issue with the series.

Why is it that 80% of 3rd party Wii games in Japan sell poorly and there's always an excuse?

And what did I downplay with the Playstation 3 yesterday, again?

Ail said:
Riachu said:
Diomedes1976 said:

I could be wrong but I don't see any significant change in the japanese transportation system in the last 10 years or so, so the time they are spending in trains hasn't changed between the PS1/PS2 era and now...

They are probably playing in the  trains now while they were not in the past but that should not eat into their console time.

What might is the money they spend on these games they play during their commute. But I am doubtfull it affects their gaming budget that much.

One factor could be they got so addicted in those games they play during the comute that they keep playing them once back home, I dunno, that's a possibility...

Portable Gaming is better than ever, and the DS offers different things from traditional gaming and expanded the market too. The Wii is a great system and all, but to be honest we haven't seen a big revolution with the controls. Wii Fit is selling very well but offers a different gameplay experience, but other than that the games haven't changed too much.

Probably Motion Plus can return interest in console gaming. Meanwhile I'm very interested to see the sales of Wii Music (good or not at least is a new music experience) and games that uses the Balance Board (Skate, Shaun White....)

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

So does anyone think Wii Music is going to have a decent second week?

PSN - hanafuda

@mrstick: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46417&start=0

"Pure ownage on the X360's part versus the failing & falling PS3."

That's not to be expected from a mod...

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
@mrstick: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46417&start=0

"Pure ownage on the X360's part versus the failing & falling PS3."

That's not to be expected from a mod...

If you disagree with my statement, then feel free to put forth some statistical analysis of your own as to how the Playstation 3 can be down by 50% year over year from the same week last year, and down 40% on a monthly basis for September & October.

All of that compared to the X360 which is up 540% versus last September and up 400% from the same week last year.

Now, knowing those solid numbers.......What did you want me to say? The Playstation 3 is doing stellar and the X360 is doing horribly?

You can argue what a mod should and shouldn't say, but if your complaining yourself, trying to defend bad numbers, your just as biased as I am.