By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Woman in Jail over VIRTUAL MURDER!5 YEARS IN JAIL POSSIBLY!

You got to be kidding I wish somone in HP would go to jail when I lose my hardrive thats worse than someone killing off my character.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
xman said:
You got to be kidding I wish somone in HP would go to jail when I lose my hardrive thats worse than someone killing off my character.

If someone from HP breaks into your house and sets your hard drive on fire, they probably would go to jail.

To me this is like giving someone a spare key to your car to use it if they need to.  Yes, you're giving them the ability to wreck it, but they should be obligated to compensate you if they do.

The fact that the woman did this deliberately would translate above to someone deliberately driving away with your car and pushing it off a cliff.  I doubt you were thinking they'd do that when you gave them the keys!

The woman has done something wrong here, it's just a matter of degree and how the law handles cyber offenses.

thats casual players for you.

This thread has already been done.
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46345&start=30

And the lady has been arrested for hacking.

DeadNotSleeping said:
This thread has already been done.
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46345&start=30

And the lady has been arrested for hacking.

And it was done here before that one.  Yours isn't even the original.  ^_~

This one is interesting because it has numbers in the OP so I didn't mention that it's a duplicate.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
xman said:

If someone from HP breaks into your house and sets your hard drive on fire, they probably would go to jail.

To me this is like giving someone a spare key to your car to use it if they need to.  Yes, you're giving them the ability to wreck it, but they should be obligated to compensate you if they do.

The fact that the woman did this deliberately would translate above to someone deliberately driving away with your car and pushing it off a cliff.  I doubt you were thinking they'd do that when you gave them the keys!

The woman has done something wrong here, it's just a matter of degree and how the law handles cyber offenses.

My car is worth $30K my virtual guy could theoretically be resurrected for free.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

xman said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
xman said:

My car is worth $30K my virtual guy could theoretically be resurrected for free.

We're not talking about killing a character, we're talking about deleting it.  In a game like Maple Story where it is financed by micro-transactions and purchases for the character, that little in-game avatar could be the result of hundreds if not thousands of dollars spent on it depending on how fanatical the player is and that, depending on how the company runs the game, may not be recoverable at all.

And those my friend, are damages.

if this goes through there will be a lot more trouble to come

ya realy :P

Wow, this thread is misleading. Like it was mentioned, she's being charged with "illegally accessing a computer and manipulating data." Believe it or not, that's illegal. Calling it "virtual murder" is like saying someone murdered their MySpace page by logging in and deleting it. If I illegally gained access into your computer and manipulated data on it, I could be charged.