By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Distribution...much closer to mainstream than most think

those are not HD.

Around the Network

I've been downloading hd movies and the quality is fine for me.

swarley said:
disolitude said:

This article puts some serious spin on the whole bluray VS digital distribution argument.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=92709&catid=81

To quote for those that don't feel like opening link...

"Samsung Electronics Co. is equipping Blu-ray DVD players so they can retrieve movies and TV shows from Netflix Inc.'s Internet streaming service, accelerating Netflix's push to develop more delivery methods beyond the mail.

The deal, to be announced Thursday, could set the stage for Netflix to embed software connecting to its streaming service directly into television sets made by Samsung."

While its only a streaming service for now (there is no way to save the movie), this is a huge leap towards distributing content to mainstream population who don't have 300 dollar gaming systems or media center hooked up to their television.

I would like to see where this leads to. Possible bluray writer inclusion in bluray players few years down the road... I see a lot of users making their own bluray movies like this.

So instead of a 300 dollar gaming system I can buy a 1200 dollar HDTV to stream Netflix movies in standard def.

Where do I sign up?

BTW 

you can stream Netflix to your PS3 and Xbox today with a program called Play On. you have to be a netflix sub.

Im actually quite baffled with the negativity a lot of people have towards DD here.

You are right in saying that people will not buy 1200 dollar tvs or 300 dollar bluray players to do digital distribution. They will buy them for the simple reasons of owning a TV or having a bluray player.

And once these products are in households, people will have a choice to stream a movie if they'd like. This is what reaching the mainstream is all about...giving regular people the choice to do digital distribution... people who know nothing what so ever about technology (play on? never heard of it...and while i dont doubt that it exists, its not going to reach your average joe)

Jo21 said:
those are not HD.

netflix stremaing is optimized to your internet connection speed. And with the compression they use, even a basic 5 megabit connection can do a full movie in 480p in 15 minutes.

Now, if these streaming bluray players do somesort of upscaling...that could even turn out better.

disolitude said:
swarley said:
disolitude said:

This article puts some serious spin on the whole bluray VS digital distribution argument.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=92709&catid=81

To quote for those that don't feel like opening link...

"Samsung Electronics Co. is equipping Blu-ray DVD players so they can retrieve movies and TV shows from Netflix Inc.'s Internet streaming service, accelerating Netflix's push to develop more delivery methods beyond the mail.

The deal, to be announced Thursday, could set the stage for Netflix to embed software connecting to its streaming service directly into television sets made by Samsung."

While its only a streaming service for now (there is no way to save the movie), this is a huge leap towards distributing content to mainstream population who don't have 300 dollar gaming systems or media center hooked up to their television.

I would like to see where this leads to. Possible bluray writer inclusion in bluray players few years down the road... I see a lot of users making their own bluray movies like this.

So instead of a 300 dollar gaming system I can buy a 1200 dollar HDTV to stream Netflix movies in standard def.

Where do I sign up?

BTW 

you can stream Netflix to your PS3 and Xbox today with a program called Play On. you have to be a netflix sub.

Im actually quite baffled with the negativity a lot of people have towards DD here.

You are right in saying that people will not buy 1200 dollar tvs or 300 dollar bluray players to do digital distribution. They will buy them for the simple reasons of owning a TV or having a bluray player.

And once these products are in households, people will have a choice to stream a movie if they'd like. This is what reaching the mainstream is all about...giving regular people the choice to do digital distribution... people who know nothing what so ever about technology (play on? never heard of it...and while i dont doubt that it exists, its not going to reach your average joe)

I agree.  

BTW I am not negative to DD, I stream to my PS3 and have been a Netflix sub for a long time.  I think what they are doing as a business is great.   I just think streaming will be an alternative, never a replacement for Hard Media.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

Around the Network

The negativity comes from people thinking that your a 360 fan (like squilliam), and people think that your trying to knock the PS3 by knocking Blu Ray.

I myself am very interested to see if (or should i say when) DD takes off. I still like to buy stuff on disks, but younger generations are fine with DD i think.

I don't think downloading 50gb movies is closer to mainstream even in developed world.

How are Samsung going to do the Netflix thing? Are we going to see Xbox 360 arcades embedded into their TVs potentially?

The Xbox hardware could take over most tv functions, its fast enough, cheap enough and its all set up with online content delivery and the new xbox 360 experience looks compatible with some sort of pointer device.

Tease.

Jo21 said:
those are not HD.

Why does it need to be HD? Pass on the distribution savings to the customer and offer some other values which online distribution makes possible and quite a few people would be quite satisfied with a lower quality signal. I'm one of those people, though I'm still waiting for somebody to offer an online model I can get on board with.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

jankazimierz said:
The negativity comes from people thinking that your a 360 fan (like squilliam), and people think that your trying to knock the PS3 by knocking Blu Ray.

I myself am very interested to see if (or should i say when) DD takes off. I still like to buy stuff on disks, but younger generations are fine with DD i think.

Actually my negativity with DD isn't about consoles its the elimination of the hard media.  I prefer to do what I like with my content.  I take a DVD and convert it to DIVX for streaming to all of my TVs.  I like to convert it to my PSP or my Zune for travel.  DD and DRM takes all of that away from me.  That is why i don't like it.

But for the record I do love my PS3

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts