By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SDF REPORT #1 : Sony's Profitability in dought.

Who here as stock in Sony? Does anyone else care whether or not Sony posts a loss? I don't.

I also don't care if MS or Nintendo post losses.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

Who here as stock in Sony? Does anyone else care whether or not Sony posts a loss? I don't.

The only difference neither of the other 2 companies will be posting losses.

TheBigFatJ said:

Whether or not you're invested, it does change each companies ability to conduct business operations. In good times, money is free flowing which allows them the flexibility to fund various projects. In lean times, projects and budgets are slashed.

Do people think when companies do that poorly has no effect on the gaming industry? I can't be the only one who was shocked when Sega pulled out of the console business so suddenly (though I was kinda young). I'm not saying Sony's pulling out, but money does have relevance to how things turn out.

Sony won't pull out of gaming. Honestly SCE will probably be one of the best looking divisions on the financial reports this quarter. The gaming portion of Sony's business has probably been one the most stable parts of Sony -- they're still on target for hardware (actually ahead), and software sales are through the roof, for all consoles.

As has been said many times here on VGC, the gaming industry is relatively proof to economic recession... at least to a point.  Its very likely that it's the other aspects of Sony's business that have suffered.

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:
lots of people forget that sony isn't just the playstation. in fact, the playstation is only a small part of the global electronics enterprise that is sony.

them posting a loss is very unlikely, bordering on impossible. even when the ps3 lost 3 billion dollars they were still posting profits.

Why do people always repeat this? Yes, there is a lot more to Sonys electronics division. However, the Playstation brand definitely isnt a small part of Sony electronics. It was just about fie years ago when the PS2 was the only thing keeping the electronics division profitable.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Yeah, it's 'doubt'.