By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War 2 ending leaked (Spoilers!!!!!!!!)

Reasonable said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:
This is the reason why I prefer story-driven games by far.

So you dont like 2 of the best story driven games then. Half Life and Bioshock. Both those endings if you watched them without playing the game are worse than Gears 2. But as we know both those games had awesome story throughout.

Those games had mediocre storylines. People consider them good as far as games go but by movie or lliterary standards they suck.

Well, have I walked into the wrong room? I thought we were talking about games, not movies or literature????????

If a game chooses to have a narrative and dialgue, and if the developers choose to say 'it will be good' then that aspect of the game is up for critique just as much as gameplay, graphics, etc.

So you aren't in the wrong room - and as I said while the video does imply GeOW2 ain't Shakespear, I'll hold off full judgement until I seee some reviews and get a chance to play it on my mates 360...

I think you missed the point I was making. He referred to Half Life and Bioshock being ok in terms of story compared to movies and literature. Movies and literature are not being discussed. So hence my comment.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Reasonable said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

So you dont like 2 of the best story driven games then. Half Life and Bioshock. Both those endings if you watched them without playing the game are worse than Gears 2. But as we know both those games had awesome story throughout.

Those games had mediocre storylines. People consider them good as far as games go but by movie or lliterary standards they suck.

Well, have I walked into the wrong room? I thought we were talking about games, not movies or literature????????

If a game chooses to have a narrative and dialgue, and if the developers choose to say 'it will be good' then that aspect of the game is up for critique just as much as gameplay, graphics, etc.

So you aren't in the wrong room - and as I said while the video does imply GeOW2 ain't Shakespear, I'll hold off full judgement until I seee some reviews and get a chance to play it on my mates 360...

I think you missed the point I was making. He referred to Half Life and Bioshock being ok in terms of story compared to movies and literature. Movies and literature are not being discussed. So hence my comment.

You're quite correct.  Got your comment and the original reversed a little.  Must stop responding late at night!

I agree there's little point dragging in literature/movies as right now almost no game has gotten close to okay yet compared to those with regard to narrative.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
selnor said:
Reasonable said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

You're quite correct.  Got your comment and the original reversed a little.  Must stop responding late at night!

I agree there's little point dragging in literature/movies as right now almost no game has gotten close to okay yet compared to those with regard to narrative.

No probs. I get dodgy posts to when I'm tired. :)

selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

So you're saying games should be kept to a lower standard than movies literature? -why? You're essentially calling games an inferior media we shouldn't have decent expectations from that we have towards other forms of art.

DTG said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

So you're saying games should be kept to a lower standard than movies literature? -why? You're essentially calling games an inferior media we shouldn't have decent expectations from that we have towards other forms of art.

The only people who consider games to be an inferior medium are movie critics.  Robert Egert even said that games would never be art which I am quite offended by.  Also, these movie critics aren't even that good at reviewing movies.  I saw Jumper which was not as bad as they say it is.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

The only people who consider games to be an inferior medium are movie critics.  Robert Egert even said that games would never be art which I am quite offended by.  Also, these movie critics aren't even that good at reviewing movies.  I saw Jumper which was not as bad as they say it is.

Well of course games could be Art.  But none really are yet.  I love games, and I love literature and Art, and games ain't there yet in any meaningful way.  Anything can be Art, but it takes an actual definate desire to create Art from something to make the difference.

I think the critics are taking the view that no games have been Art and by their nature it is unlikely they will be - i.e. someone would have to make a game as Art first and foremost while using the medium, and no-one really seems to be trying that yet.  Even more than movies games today are constrained by the need to make money and appeal to a fairly low level of criticism.

Deus Ex, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2 and a few others have come close.  And Ico in particular I think is tremblingly close to being Art.  I'd say it was except I saw a quote where the creator said he wasn't trying for Art... so go figure.  I'd also note that almost any game that's come close has tended to get good reviews while underperforming with the masses - which doesn't help.

Still, we'll see what the future brings.

Ok i think im sick...... I was at my friends house. He had dled gears 2. After playing it a while we compared it to gears 1 & for some unknown reason we both perferd gears 1 lol... O well.. both were nice but i didnt crai like mgs4 XD

Reasonable said:
Riachu said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

The only people who consider games to be an inferior medium are movie critics. Robert Egert even said that games would never be art which I am quite offended by. Also, these movie critics aren't even that good at reviewing movies. I saw Jumper which was not as bad as they say it is.

Well of course games could be Art. But none really are yet. I love games, and I love literature and Art, and games ain't there yet in any meaningful way. Anything can be Art, but it takes an actual definate desire to create Art from something to make the difference.

I think the critics are taking the view that no games have been Art and by their nature it is unlikely they will be - i.e. someone would have to make a game as Art first and foremost while using the medium, and no-one really seems to be trying that yet. Even more than movies games today are constrained by the need to make money and appeal to a fairly low level of criticism.

Deus Ex, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2 and a few others have come close. And Ico in particular I think is tremblingly close to being Art. I'd say it was except I saw a quote where the creator said he wasn't trying for Art... so go figure. I'd also note that almost any game that's come close has tended to get good reviews while underperforming with the masses - which doesn't help.

You mean BioShock isn't considered art?

DTG said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

No, the thread is talking about Gears 2 compared to other game stories. Bringing movies into the equation like you did was completely off the ball park and unecessary.

And actually I think Halo's sci fi story is as good as loads of sci fi's Ive seen. So yes I do think game stories can match films. Now forget films and back OT.

Riachu said:
Reasonable said:
Riachu said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
DTG said:
selnor said:
Videogirl said:

The only people who consider games to be an inferior medium are movie critics. Robert Egert even said that games would never be art which I am quite offended by. Also, these movie critics aren't even that good at reviewing movies. I saw Jumper which was not as bad as they say it is.

Well of course games could be Art. But none really are yet. I love games, and I love literature and Art, and games ain't there yet in any meaningful way. Anything can be Art, but it takes an actual definate desire to create Art from something to make the difference.

I think the critics are taking the view that no games have been Art and by their nature it is unlikely they will be - i.e. someone would have to make a game as Art first and foremost while using the medium, and no-one really seems to be trying that yet. Even more than movies games today are constrained by the need to make money and appeal to a fairly low level of criticism.

Deus Ex, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2 and a few others have come close. And Ico in particular I think is tremblingly close to being Art. I'd say it was except I saw a quote where the creator said he wasn't trying for Art... so go figure. I'd also note that almost any game that's come close has tended to get good reviews while underperforming with the masses - which doesn't help.

You mean BioShock isn't considered art?

Not by the mainstream... I think its another example of a game that does have a pretty decent narrative but again it doesn't really dig into the questions it raises nearly as deeply as a good film would, or a decent book.  But it is another step in the right direction for games that do want to raise issues and count as art rather than pure entertainment.