By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What Do You Like Most About Global Warming?

@Kasz216: So I gather you don't eat meat and prefer to drive a car instead?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

The extreme weather. I love watching reporters stand around in Hurricanes.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
The extreme weather. I love watching reporters stand around in Hurricanes.

I was wondering about that myself the other day. Don't these guys ever get naturally deselected?

The fact that I'll be dead before mankind suffers the consequences.

I will tell you what I hate about global warming.

The politics.

We are living in a world that's getting warmer. Period. We need to put our efforts into making sure we enter this world successfully. Not use it at a political platform to say what you will to do stop it.

It can not be stopped. Stop trying to get elected on a platform that say's you will reverse the effects (or stop them).

Around the Network
Rath said:
@konnichiwa. One hypothesis (albeit with little evidence to prove it) is that global warming will cause the Gulf Stream to slow down severely or even stop. Since this is what stops the Northern half of Western Europe from being like Siberia it may not be warmer in Belgium =P

=p  Siberia has hot summers!

Its sparked movies by ex presidential candidates

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Kasz216 said:

That it shows how self involved people are thinking they're the cause of everything when the largest manmade cause of CO2 is infact...

Cows farting.

Do cows really fart that much more then every other wild animal on the planet?

Really now?

Even if they did... fart more then the millions of animals all over the place... that would mean the most effective way to combat global warming would be to cut down on meat.  Not all this other stuff we're trying to do.

http://www.themidnightsun.org/?p=2484

YEAH!

lets kill half the cows now and have a massive BBQ!

The other half we can give to the poor.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Rath said:
HappySqurriel said:
Rath said:
@HappySqurriel. http://www.skepticalscience.com/satellite-measurements-warming-troposphere.htm

"Adjusting" the data to get the trend you want to show up in a data-set is called "Scientific-Dishonesty" in most areas of science.

Adjusting the data due to a known variable is perfectly normal. I assume you are talking about the diurnal drift when you say that?

In any case the 0.12 degrees per decade which is shown without the adjustment, while not near the 0.17 degrees expected, is still warming in the troposphere which you previously denied existed at all.

It is acceptable to make adjustments to collected data if (and only if) the adjustments are small relative to the trend that is being observed; the reason for this is simple, there are hundreds of potential adjustments and a person could cherry pick adjustments for the purpose of supporting a (desired) trend. When a trend is not present in the base data and only appears after the data has been adjusted you’re no longer dealing with a scientific evaluation of the data.

@HappySqurriel: That doesn't necessarily apply in this case.

Do you have reason to believe that the adjustment they made wasn't justified and more relevant than any other adjustment the data could have had?

If I collect some data at my job and then find a big mistake with the data collection method, I will adjust it (if possible) to correct for that mistake. This will make the data better. If it's not possible or I have reason to believe there are other mistakes, I may throw it away.