By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The top 10 fictional sports

Hey guys, Looking up Death Race 2000 on the net, I stumbled across this list. It's pretty fun. And yes, Death Race 2000 is one of my favourite movies. It really holds up well to. Far better than the remake.

http://retrocrush.buzznet.com/articles/fictionalsports/index.html

THE TOP 10 FICTIONAL SPORTS

FLAMINGO CROQUET

Certainly an animal rights nightmare, playing croquet using the head of a flamingo as a mallet is the most cruel fictitious sport since E.B.White's under looked "Charlotte's Web 2: Pig Smash Jamboree".

JOUST

The 1982 arcade game from Williams featured a crazy sport in which you would fly around on giant ostriches jousting against other like-minded knights while fighting over magic green eggs, dodging pterodactyls, and eerie lava hands that would grab you into a flaming death. London should seriously consider this for the 2012 Olympics.

PARRISES SQUARES

Though the game was never shown on TV, this photo from Star Trek The Next Generation shows that the form fitting spandex uniforms make it all but unwearable to conventions except for the most awkward of Trekkies (and believe me, that's saying a lot!). The sport is considered very dangerous, resulting in the death of Commander Riker's imaginary holographic daughter. Yep...you can't make up that kind of stuff.

PODRACING

One of the only good things about Star Wars Episode One, podracing is essential a high speed race where just about anything goes, including dodging stray blaster file from the crazy Tusken Raider spectators. Can you imagine the ratings Nascar would get if the redneck fans were allowed to shoot at the drivers as they sped around oval track over and over and over again?

CURLING

One of the more ludicrous ideas for a sport ever created. You scoot a bunch of giant rocks around on the ice while you sweep the surface in front of it with a broom. From the great minds that brought you Extreme Dishwashing and Freestyle Vacuuming.

DEATHRACE 2000

The Paul Bartel film from 1975 still holds up as a fun and super crazy movie. Colorful drivers drive souped up machines across America, earning points by hitting people (even more for old people and babies). Fans of the sport are so rabid that they even sacrifice themselves on the road to give their favorite drivers an advantage.

THE LONG WALK

I just read this book, which was originally written in the late '60s by Stephen King (originally published under his Richard Bachman pen name) and it still holds up as a crazy scary story. 100 teens volunteers are chosen for an annual event in which they have to keep walking until they can't walk anymore. Once you go below 4 miles per hour, or veer off the course, you're given a warning. Your 4th warning is a bullet. The last man walking gets anything they want for the rest of their lives. It's a great book that immediately throws you into the action and is incredibly eerie despite not having any supernatural aspects to it.

ROLLERBALL

1975 was a great year for brutal futuristic sports films, as Rollerball was released alongside Death Race 2000. Rollberball is sort of roller derby meets Thunderdome. Teams of skaters try and score points by throwing a heavy ball into the goal. The violent sport is made even more dangerous by having motorcycles in the arena that can also tow players around more quickly.

QUIDDITCH

Even the most die-hard Harry Potter hater has to admit that Quidditch would be one damn fun game to play. J.K.Rowling introduced the sport in her books, and the cinematic translation in the numerous Potter films really fleshed out how amazing this sport was. Of course with the only exercise many Potter fans getting amounting to clicking the next button on erotic Hagrid/Dobby fan fiction websites, we're not sure how successful any sport would be in real life for this bunch.

CALVINBALL

The game, which of course originated in the classic Calvin and Hobbes strip is the ultimate creative athletic endeavor, because it's never the same game twice as you make up the rules as you go along. Sort of like Hillary Clinton's ill-fated Presidential campaign.

Anybody else think of some fun fictional sports?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Excuse me, but someone's life can't be completed without Combat Basketball:

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Kudos to having Long Walk, and especially Calvinball!

Why did they include two real sports (curling and calvinball) in the list?

I'd ad this one
Series 7: The Contenders. Great movie.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Pssh, no ghosting?
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JSd4TFyLCAU

no running man? tsk tsk tsk.

No blitzball? >_>

Thunderdome. Two men enter. One man leaves.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Quidditch! Yes!