By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 2 Disc Special Editions on Blu Ray?

I was watching the abysmal Monday Night Football game between Denver and New England when a commercial for The Incredible Hulk on 2 Disc Special Edition Blu Ray came on. I looked online to see that this 2 Disc deal is pretty common place with Blu Ray releases. It seems just as common as with DVD. Weren't one of the original talking points of Blu Ray the immense storage space allotted so movies could go back down to one disc with their features? Is the content really that large o is this just a marketing gimmick at this point? I can imagine it's easier to charge a lot extra just for pressing everything onto two disc instead of one.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Nah, you want them to put it on two discs if at all possible. Many of the "reference" or "Tier 0" quality Blu-Rays out there are 2-disc sets.

It lets them increase the bit rate much higher, so you get a lot less compression artifacts (look at some movies on a BD-25 and not a BD-50 and you will know what I am talking about). It just gives the film more room to breathe, because if you had a perfect digital copy of a film that clocks in around 2 hours it would probably be around 100 gigs or so with audio and everything included.

The 2-discs sets let you get better audio codecs on the disc too, such as a master audio track rather than just your good ol' Dolby 5.1 standard. Master audio tracks take up A LOT of space.  Sometimes as much as 10 gigs.

DVD works the exact same way. DVD's on two discs generally look a lot nicer because you have better bit rates. The bigger the screen you watch a movie on the more apparent it becomes when you have a bad bitrate.

To some degree two-disc sets are a marketing ploy too, as people just love feeling like they are getting more for their money. But there really are a lot of practical advantages. Hell, Speed Racer has 3 discs, one for the movie, one for the features, one for the Digital copy. I am way more willing to buy that than just a 1-disc movie with nothing extra.  Speed Racer is arguably the best looking Blu-Ray made to date, and part of that has to do with the movie being on its own disc.

If they started to implement 100 Gig Blu-Ray discs, then maybe we could have everything on one disc, but as it is now, I am HAPPY studios choose to put a movie on two discs sometimes. Look at a badly compressed Blu-Ray and you will know what I mean.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think there was a lot of misinformation going around back when it was BluRay vs. HD-DVD, because I distinctly remember some of the talking points of BluRay movies mimicing the talking points of BluRay PS3 games. No more need for multiple discs. I'm having trouble finding this through the forum search, but I remember a Fall 2007 argument between those that thought The Lord of the Rings special editions could fit on one Blu Ray disc on those that thought it couldn't.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

I think there was a lot of misinformation going around back when it was BluRay vs. HD-DVD, because I distinctly remember some of the talking points of BluRay movies mimicing the talking points of BluRay PS3 games. No more need for multiple discs. I'm having trouble finding this through the forum search, but I remember a Fall 2007 argument between those that thought The Lord of the Rings special editions could fit on one Blu Ray disc on those that thought it couldn't.

Anyway you look at it, that 20 gigs of extra space does make quite a difference. The encode of the video is more important than anything, but bitrates definitely help out with the picture and significantly reduce compression artifacts, and more movies on Blu-Ray have lossless audio than movies on HD-DVD did.  Space is space anyway you look at it, and it will require studios to use 2 discs less often.

Blu-Rays don't need to go to 2 discs anywhere near as often as DVD's did.  DVD's sometimes had to split the ACTUAL MOVIE on to two discs, and you will pretty much never see that happen on Blu-Ray unless we are talking about the Lord of the Rings extended editions.  I have yet to see that happen on Blu-Ray, even with longer movies.  The only thing I have ever seen on a second disc is extras.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Also, studios really never had the option of making a single layer HD-DVD movie, as just about any HD movie would suffer from 15 gigs of space.

Blu-Ray gives studios the option to put out some of their shorter or less visually oriented movies on single-layer Blu-Rays to save money. And this happened all the time with DVD, so don't act like it is some kind of new phenomenon. Studios will cut corners when they can.

Around the Network

I am surprised by this. I also thought the point of BR was space and that there will be an end to two disc sets.

umm this is confusing the whole idea of BD was so that you could put more infomation on a disc and not have the need of using 2 discs. So whats the point in it then?

oliminator1994 said:
umm this is confusing the whole idea of BD was so that you could put more infomation on a disc and not have the need of using 2 discs. So whats the point in it then?

Well it seems what happened is the extra space had to be filled with the same content in HD which started taking up an equivalent amount of space to get out properly. So basically, the space of Bluay has kept things relatively the same as opposed to having to go to more discs than DVD. Granted there are usually a few extra goodies on a BD disc like extra subtitle tracks.

I just found it funny because of how much of a talking point I felt this was 1 1/2-2 years ago with BD movies going to be able to get everything onto less discs. Now almost every 2 Disc that gets released on DVD seems to also get released on BluRay the same way.

maaarrrkkeetttinggg...

that second disc is what makes people feel like they are getting value for the extra money they are spending on the "special" edition. blu ray could have a terabyte disc space and you'd still still special 2 disc editions.

akuma587 said:
Onyxmeth said:

Anyway you look at it, that 20 gigs of extra space does make quite a difference. The encode of the video is more important than anything, but bitrates definitely help out with the picture and significantly reduce compression artifacts, and more movies on Blu-Ray have lossless audio than movies on HD-DVD did.  Space is space anyway you look at it, and it will require studios to use 2 discs less often.

Blu-Rays don't need to go to 2 discs anywhere near as often as DVD's did.  DVD's sometimes had to split the ACTUAL MOVIE on to two discs, and you will pretty much never see that happen on Blu-Ray unless we are talking about the Lord of the Rings extended editions.  I have yet to see that happen on Blu-Ray, even with longer movies.  The only thing I have ever seen on a second disc is extras.

aside from LOTR extended edition start naming dvds where the ACTUAL MOVIE didn't fit on one disc.