By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft gets patent to block swearing in live audio streams

isnt there something about language in the tos for xbl?

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Zucas said:
JaggedSac said:
Zucas said:
Yea let's all support censorship.

My question is why should those who are of good character have to be blocked because of the bad character of others. This is what we should really crack down on. Underrage kids playing the game in the first place which I'm sure quite a few of yall already fit into. And of course human behavior in the beginning. An ethical and virtuous parent will raise an ethical and virtuous child. That is the real problem. Censorship is a bad solution to that problem.

Actually, there is absolutely no problem if it has the ability to be toggled. Hear it if you want, don't if you don't.

Maybe others are willing to be so easily censored but I will not. I fight for my rights in every form. It always starts with the smallest of things until eventually we get to Farenheight 451.

LOL. You think there will be function creep in this? Hell, I don't even think you can go around cussing in public. Decency laws or something?

No it's called Denthological laws.  Laws that control people through prevention.  People will be better if they can't do something.  Unfortunately most of these laws take away from rights.  I sugges if we are to discuss this you might as well know the proper name.

And maybe you aren't scared by the thoughts of censorship and you probably shouldn't be.  But it is something that I fear in every form.  Denthological laws are used too much as a scapegoat for the real problem in society and that being virtues and ethics.  But of course we can't speak of that otherwise the root problem would unmask.

Of course I'm sure you argue against Jack Thompson when he tries to get certain games banned for content.  I hope you know when you are arguing against me on this issue that you are on the side of Jack Thompson.  Does that scare you?

I would love for everyone to be able to go around public butt ass naked. I would love to see some fat ****'s c*nt.

And function creep is something that starts out innocently and ends up with far greater scope than what was intended(Social Security as an example).  It fits perfectly with your assumptions in your posts.  Perhaps you should read before you post.

JaggedSac said:
I would love for everyone to be able to go around public butt ass naked. I would love to see some fat ****'s c*nt.

Yea because I'd rather not see you either but that's above the point.  Nah jk but seriously.  Freedoms are limited to whether or not they affect others.  We should have all the freedoms we need unless it impedes on others freedoms.  Obviously some fat guy naked would impede on my freedoms.  Try again Jack.

actually...since i just went and looked...such language violates the terms of service, so you have no right to use such language when on xbl. so, zucas, i think you should not argue this anymore.

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
actually...since i just went and looked...such language violates the terms of service, so you have no right to use such language when on xbl. so, zucas, i think you should not argue this anymore.

But I do it anyways so what ya gonna do about it haha.

i'm actually excited to see how they'll impement it and how it'll work. i'd be surprised if it can work effectively, seeing as people swear with different accents and different languages.

Zucas said:
MrBubbles said:

But I do it anyways so what ya gonna do about it haha.

probably feel pity for you :-/

Zucas said:
JaggedSac said:

Yea because I'd rather not see you either but that's above the point.  Nah jk but seriously.  Freedoms are limited to whether or not they affect others.  We should have all the freedoms we need unless it impedes on others freedoms.  Obviously some fat guy naked would impede on my freedoms.  Try again Jack.

Me censoring you while you cuss away on XBox Live is not infringing on your freedoms either buddy boy.  In fact, I have the right not to listen to someone using vulgarity.  You can cuss and cuss away and you would be none the wiser as to whether I recieved your full vulgarity.  So your freedoms are not being encroached upon in this instance either Jack, cause if someone wanted to listen to you, they damn well could.  If the headset shocked you violently every time you cursed, that would be encroaching.  And if you really want to cuss at me, find me, and say it to my ****ing face.

JaggedSac said:
Zucas said:
JaggedSac said:

Yea because I'd rather not see you either but that's above the point. Nah jk but seriously. Freedoms are limited to whether or not they affect others. We should have all the freedoms we need unless it impedes on others freedoms. Obviously some fat guy naked would impede on my freedoms. Try again Jack.

Me censoring you while you cuss away on XBox Live is not infringing on your freedoms either buddy boy. In fact, I have the right not to listen to someone using vulgarity. You can cuss and cuss away and you would be none the wiser as to whether I recieved your full vulgarity. So your freedoms are not being encroached upon in this instance either Jack, cause if someone wanted to listen to you, they damn well could. If the headset shocked you violently every time you cursed, that would be encroaching. And if you really want to cuss at me, find me, and say it to my ****ing face.

No problem.  What you think you scare me haha.