By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Defraggler

OK for anyone who knows PCs well knows the fact that Windows Defragmentation tool is a joke so I took some time out to find a good piece of software for the job. I successed. It's a touch slow but who cares, might just be my hardwaremaking it seem slower then it really should be.

The software is the Defaggler and is made by the developers of Crap Cleaner which is another amazing program used to clean up your PC's OS.

I had 12.6GBs of fragmented software on my main HDD, havent checked my game HDD, but before I ran this I ran Window's tool and its analyst didnt show my computer in this bad of shape.

http://www.defraggler.com/

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

^^ Can you give us a short explanation of what defragmentation is and why its important ???

El Duderino said:

^^ Can you give us a short explanation of what defragmentation is and why its important ???

To understand Defragmentation lets understand

Fragmentation

In computing, file system fragmentation, sometimes called file system aging, is the inability of a file system to lay out related data sequentially (contiguously), an inherent phenomenon in storage-backed file systems that allow in-place modification of their contents. It is a special case of data fragmentation. File system fragmentation increases disk head movement or seeks, which are known to hinder throughput. The correction to existing fragmentation is to reorganize files and free space back into contiguous areas, a process called defragmentation.

Defragmentation

In the context of administering computer systems, defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of fragmentation in file systems. It does this by physically reorganizing the contents of the disk to store the pieces of each file close together and contiguously. It also attempts to create larger regions of free space using compaction to impede the return of fragmentation. Some defragmenters also try to keep smaller files within a single directory together, as they are often accessed in sequence.

Basically in a nut shell, defraging your PC makes it so your HDD works more efficiently.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

It actually is based on the standard defragmentation API. Another good free defragger is JkDefrag which I prefer for it's screensaver.

I use it and it is particularly better than defrag.exe I would advise you to keep it.

Around the Network

Just downloaded it, it's a BIG improvement of the standard XP defrag, thanks.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Personally I prefer Diskeeper. Very fast and reliable.

fazz said:

I read on some tech forums while looking for a good defragger that you can run diskeeper for like half hour then run defraggler and you will cut the amount of time defraggler takes in halfand defraggler will pick up a ton of fragments that diskeeper missed.

ssj12 said:
fazz said:

I read on some tech forums while looking for a good defragger that you can run diskeeper for like half hour then run defraggler and you will cut the amount of time defraggler takes in halfand defraggler will pick up a ton of fragments that diskeeper missed.

Just tried that. Didn't change much, and Defraggler actually left the same files fragged (including that goddamn page file)

Okay, I'm confused. I used the defraggler, but instead of increasing the amount of free space, it decreased it. I used to have 69 gb free space, I now have 57, after using the defraggler. I haven't downloaded anything noticable, at least not above 100Mb.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS