By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Secretary Powell endorses Barack Obama

How is it "not surprising" that a 30+ year republican partisan, military veteran, republican Secretary of State would endorse a the furthest left presidential candidate ever?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Oh, NM, I know why he said it.

I don't care what anyone else says, I love Powell. I think he's one of the smartest, most rational people to hit American politics in quite some time.

I'm not swayed by other people much, but I won't say that Powell's endorsement makes me less likely to vote for Obama (which I'm very close to doing).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I'm distantly related to Colon Powell on my grandfathters side. Jamaicans FTW!

I think this endorsement will carry a lot of weight, if only for the sole reason that the talking heads on TV and the blogosphere will be talking about it for 2-3 days, maybe a week, and there are only 15 days to the election.

And when you are 5-7 points behind like McCain is, every one of those days matters, especially because McCain doesn't go up or down in the polls very quickly.

Likewise, Powell has quite the rep, and even some Republicans will second guess themselves after seeing that Powell endorsed Obama. I don't expect the race thing to be much of an issue, unless you are Rush Limbaugh (who happened to say that it was a race thing...).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Fox News (my boss watches it all day at work), just said on the "News Break":

Powell called Obama potentially a transformational president (Correction: Powell didn't say potentially), (Shows video of McCain) experts say transformational periods are when terrorist attacks are most likely, the FBI and CIA are on top alert.

I am sure the reason he is backing Obama, is because he thinks Obama will be much more liked by the rest of the world. The US as a whole will be looked upon in better light by the rest of the world.

Also, with the economy the way it is, he feels we need a leader who can calm the people, and speak with a level of authority and elegance.

Obama's qualities in this department are far better then McCains.

Too bad his policies suck (imo).

steven787 said:
Fox News (my boss watches it all day at work), just said on the "News Break":

Powell called Obama potentially a transformational president (Correction: Powell didn't say potentially), (Shows video of McCain) experts say transformational periods are when terrorist attacks are most likely, the FBI and CIA are on top alert.

Lol...I need to watch Fox News more often.  It sounds like it is a comedy channel most of the time it is so ridiculous.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

It would be if it were funny. When you actually watch it, it's scary.

I'm reading the comments over here: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14714_Page3.html

They make me truly sad. To see how quickly some Republicans (who pick "Independent" as their party) turned on Powell, saying horrible things about him. It's bad enough they make baseless and racist attacks on Obama, now they do it to their own, one of the most respected and qualified members of their party.

There is just so much hate coming from the right. It literally hurts me, not offend, hurts me because of my love for this country and it's people.

I'm not saying this to try to talk anyone into voting for Obama, or vote Democrat. I really couldn't care about that right now. I'm hurt and sad.