By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Secretary Powell endorses Barack Obama

On today's edition of Meet The Press, Secretary Powell formally endorsed Barack Obama. This had been rumored for months, but Powell steadfastly refused to comment on such speculation. This endorsement should bolster Obama's claim that he is capable of being the nation's head of state and commander-in-chief.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2461567.0.Colin_Powell_breaks_ranks_to_endorse_Barack_Obama.php

Around the Network

not suprising.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
not suprising.

It is, at the very least, mildly surprising. I believe Powell donated money to McCain's campaign in late 07 or early 08. 

Jackson50 said:
bigjon said:
not suprising.

It is, at the very least, mildly surprising. I believe Powell donated money to McCain's campaign in late 07 or early 08. 

ok, a little suprising. But if he donated mccain money in 07 it was before Obama was looking like the likely Nominee.

Basically, Powell did not leave bush with good terms, Powell is black (I am not saying that is the whole reason, but I am sure it played a major part)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@ Jackson he did

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/08/09/powell-donates-to-mccain/

Around the Network

^Thanks for providing the link

^^Yes, I am sure race played some role in his decision. Powell called Obama a "transformational figure." Race is one of the components of Obama being a "transformational figure."

According to Sky News (Which is probably the biggest news channel in the UK) . Powell has been friends with McCain for 25 years but denies the change is race related.

Colon Powell lied to the UN in an attempt to gain support for an illegal war, its nice that he gave his endorsement to Obama but I hope he goes nowhere near the new administration. He has no credibility left.

damkira said:

Colon Powell lied to the UN in an attempt to gain support for an illegal war, its nice that he gave his endorsement to Obama but I hope he goes nowhere near the new administration. He has no credibility left.

Powell is a good guy.  He was really embarassed about the whole Iraq War fiasco (way more than anyone in the current adminstration is or was).  He knows it was a complete failure and was rationally untenable based on the facts now that it has been shown the intelligence was bunk, and he is ashamed that he choose to support it.

That is the kind of politician I respect, one who is ashamed when he makes a bad choice.  That is one of the reasons he resigned, alongside the fact that the Bush Adminstration created one of the most partisan environments in Washington in political history. 

The Bush Adminstration just went into damage control mode after the Iraq War no longer seemed to have any point.  A big person can admit when he made a mistake.  Its like a child who breaks something in the house and then tries to hide it or claim that he actually did a good thing by breaking it versus a child who will own up to the fact that he fucked up.

This is from Wikipedia:

View of the U.S. war in Iraq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Powell

In July 2007 Powell revealed that he spent two and a half hours trying to persuade George W. Bush not to invade Iraq but that he did not prevail. At the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado[42] Powell stated, "I tried to avoid this war. I took him [Bush] through the consequences of going into an Arab country and becoming the occupiers."[43]

Powell went on to say that he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war. "The civil war will ultimately be resolved by a test of arms. It's not going to be pretty to watch, but I don't know any way to avoid it. It is happening now." He further noted, "It is not a civil war that can be put down or solved by the armed forces of the United States," and suggested that all the U.S. military could do was put "a heavier lid on this pot of boiling sectarian stew".[44]

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah, Powell was one of the moderate voices in the administration. He was demonstrable in garnering what little multilateral support we had for the war. He was an incredible statesman, and it is unfortunate that his career was tarnished by his appearance before the Security Council.