By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Interview with Wii Music devs

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wii_music/vol2_page1.jsp (vol 2 came out the 10th)

Sorry to throw one more onto the already huge pile of Wii Music threads, but I found this to be an interesting/entertaining read. It shows a few things, like how different the game was before they radically changed it, the process of how/why they ditched scoring, and how they feel it just isn't a "party game," or only for parents with little children (like certain reviews imply). Also, while I know it's coming from Nintendo (they wouldn't say they're making shovelware), it really looks like they put a lot of effort into it - more than many people on these forums think, anyway.

I picked out a few parts if the whole thing is too long for you:

(Dropping scores)

Totaka
Playing without a score on the screen felt really good.

Iwata
By a score you mean indications like other music games usually have as to what the correct timing is. Getting rid of them is quite a drastic move. Why did you decide on that?

Totaka
Well, when I played multiplayer mode in various music games with other staff members, I noticed that we weren't listening to each other's performance at all.

Iwata
Because you were focused on the score. (laughs)

Totaka
Right. We were absorbed in punching buttons.

Iwata
As a musician, did it feel like you were enjoying the music?

Totaka
No, not at all. When I play music in my free time, the enjoyment lies in letting myself go. But I didn't feel like that was happening when I was so intent on following a score.
The same thing happens even when I play a real musical instrument. If I cling to the score, I don't feel that sense of liberation. Getting the general gist of the score and then letting yourself go while playing is significantly more enjoyable.
Iwata
I see. So you dropped music scores. Did everyone agree right away?

Totaka
No. (laughs)

Morii
I fought him tooth and nail. (laughs)

Iwata
Really?! Oh, I get it! You couldn't conceive of a music game without musical notation of some sort.

Morii
Right. Guys like Totaka-san, who know music, has rhythm and can keep time for themselves, so it doesn't matter if they have a score or not. But guys like me, who couldn't even play the recorder in elementary school, don't have a clue what to do or when to do it without some kind of direction.

Iwata
Ahh…so as for experience in music…

Morii
I don't have any.

Totaka
None at all.

Wada
Even less than me!

Iwata
That's funny. (laughs) This team had a professional musician and someone who knows next to nothing about music!

Morii
That's why I opposed getting rid of music scores for a long time.

Totaka
Yeah. A long time. (laughs)

(Compensating)

Wada
But he was the perfect person for figuring out where others like him would run into trouble. So a lot of the game's features were put in on his account.

Iwata
Can you give me some examples?

Morii
The lessons, for one thing.

Totaka
Right.

Morii
I had the team make the minimum necessary amount of lessons that, when repeated, would allow players to achieve something that sounded decent, so that even guys like me would be able to experience music the way guys like Totaka-san do.

(No "mistakes")

Totaka
This is a bit of a digression, but when I started working on Wii Music, I hadn't played many conventional music games, so I tried some out. When I was playing one of them, I was having fun, and decided to try to play one of the songs perfectly. I played flawlessly through the last note, and in triumph laid on an extra note at the end of the song. But when I looked at my score…it wasn't perfect!

Iwata
Because of that extra note?

Totaka
Yeah, it said I'd done something I shouldn't have. But isn't adding a note in keeping with the music a good thing? So I wondered if we could make a game that would allow such embellishments, and came up with the design we have now, whereby you can play normal melodies or elaborate however you see fit.

Iwata
Now I understand. What did everyone else think of such a radical concept? Were they hesitant, or did they just accept it?

Totaka
I'm not sure…At the time I was too absorbed in what I was doing to pay any attention. (laughs)

(Solo play)

Iwata
Now I think we've given everyone a better idea of what Wii Music is. One thing that concerns me, though, is that everyone seems to think it's a party game for whooping it up with your friends. I still don't think we've successfully conveyed how fun it can be to play alone.

Wada
I think you're right about that.

Morii
But, for the most part, it's for single play.

Iwata
Oh, you really think so?

Wada
Playing an ensemble with someone has a live feeling to it, but the music—to express it in terms of the clay we just mentioned—will remain relatively unformed, just something thrown together in the spirit of the moment.

Iwata
That can be fun, but lacks depth.

Wada
Right. If you try to shape a song according to your own inner vision, you have to spend time on it, and you'll have a blast.

Iwata
You try over and over again in an effort to do the best you can, and when it works out the way you intended, you feel an immense sense of accomplishment. It's a good feeling.

Wada
Yeah, like that.

(Difficulty in making something different)

Iwata
Totaka-san, are you able to assemble a performance by chance like that?

Totaka
No, I can't. One of our staff members makes nothing but unusual recordings. His performances never stick to the basic mold for the song, but they always sound good, so I decided to try to do the same thing. When I did, it didn't sound good at all. It isn't always good to be such a rational and deliberate person...

Iwata
You couldn't copy him. (laughs)

Totaka
It didn't sound as if I'd departed from the music naturally. Relatively speaking, I have confidence when it comes to music, but I realized there are some types of music I can't manage! (laughs)

Iwata
That's a funny story. It says something about Wii Music, I think.

Totaka
I suppose it does.

The devs actually feel the solo play is the more satisfying part, which is also what I'm interested in. However, my enjoyment will largely depend on whether I can actually make something sounding different and pleasant, so the last part is a little discouraging. I'm curious to see if the game will end up selling at all for this intended purpose, or if it really does end up appealing to mainly parents with little children.

Either way, like with all Wii Series games, the current reviewers don't give us a good indication of how the majority will receive this. They're part of the niche crowd, and have very little influence outside the enthusiasts. I'm buying the game next week, so I really hope I'm part of the crowd that "gets it."

Around the Network

who are they trying to fool with this interview... THIS GAME SUCKS and nothing will change that

if you really want to feel the music just buy an instrument, if not play guitar hero or rock band, but this piece of crap...

Wow, this game really gets under some people's skin.

An interesting read, and I really like the idea of being able to change the song from the basic mold and still having it sound good (for some people anyway). I didn't have a whole lot of interest in this after E3, but the more I read the better it sounds.

CIHYFS?

I liked when Miyamoto appeared from nowhere and shared his wisdom lol, that was hilarious.

I agree with you, the solo part is what I'm more interested, not so much the multiplayer. In fact, many are saying that it appeals for parents and children, but I'm not so sure about that. Sure, many parents will buy it with that idea in mind, but probably after some days will get bored if they don't really try to create their own music, videos and all that stuff.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

4lc0h0l said:

who are they trying to fool with this interview... THIS GAME SUCKS and nothing will change that

if you really want to feel the music just buy an instrument, if not play guitar hero or rock band, but this piece of crap...

I don't have enough money to buy 50+ instruments or the time to learn how to play them all.

And I'm curious, have you had the chance to play this game? What didn't you like about it?

I always enjoy reading these developor dialogues.

Around the Network
4lc0h0l said:

Guitar Hero or Rock Band doesn't let you feel music at all, seeing as you can't actually do anything with the music (except miss notes).

I don't get what the deal is with "just do the real thing" arguments anyway - if you have fun with the game, go for it. We don't tell Football (American or not) fans to avoid playing their "crap" and go outside for the real thing instead - why should this game be any different?

c0rd said:
4lc0h0l said:

Guitar Hero or Rock Band doesn't let you feel music at all, seeing as you can't actually do anything with the music (except miss notes).

I don't get what the deal is with "just do the real thing" arguments anyway - if you have fun with the game, go for it. We don't tell Football (American or not) fans to avoid playing their "crap" and go outside for the real thing instead - why should this game be any different?

there is a hole in your argument, guitar hero world tour, and rock band too include more intruments, and they were tested by pro in the music business travis from blink 182, they were made to simulate real drums, not being them, but waggle to make a sound it not closer than guitar hero or rock band are.

and also both game have some archivement into it, hell a score , wii music doens't have that, you pick a instrument and waggle that its.

how amazing its that? nothing impressive at all.

Jo21 said:

there is a hole in your argument, guitar hero world tour, and rock band too include more intruments, and they were tested by pro in the music business travis from blink 182, they were made to simulate real drums, not being them, but waggle to make a sound it not closer than guitar hero or rock band are.

and also both game have some archivement into it, hell a score , wii music doens't have that, you pick a instrument and waggle that its.

They were made to simulate the instruments, not the music. There's a difference. Unless hitting on the drums makes extra sounds (not sure), the music is seperate.

Do you play instruments? When I used to play violin, I don't recall being scored when I was satisfied with a song. It didn't require anyone "scoring" me to get satisfaction out of it, just myself recognizing it sounded good.

Jo21 said:

Scores?

Primitive view of gaming

Everytime I read or hear something about Wii Music, I've had to add half a million to my expectations of what it will sell.

This game will have huge legs, as word of mouth shows that it's actually a great game