By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Whoops a idiot Paid $143.82 for 1.5 Years Of XBOX Live

heres the story

link

http://consumerist.com/5065113/whoops-i-paid-14382-for-15-years-of-xbox-live

Thomas did something dumb and he wants to warn others not to follow in his footsteps. He assumed (incorrectly) that his $7.99 per month subscription to XBOX Live would roll over into a yearly subscription once he'd paid $50. (A yearly subscription costs $50, obviously.) Yeah, it didn't.

Thomas says:

Just wanted to shoot you guys and gals a quick note on how I am an idiot and hopefully others don't make my mistake. I was under the impression that the monthly charge of $7.99 for Xbox Live service would roll into a year once I hit a total of $50 in charges.

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Over the past year and a half I have paid $143.82 for Xbox Live. Almost the price for THREE FULL YEARS of service.

When I noticed this I called their support and asked why they don't just roll it into a year once a user hits the $50 mark, both representatives I spoke with said the exact same thing "You are signed up for a reoccurring monthly payment of $7.99" and could not comprehend why I would ask such a question... I guess as a naive consumer I am expecting to much from a company to give me the best bang for my buck automatically.

I accept full responsibility for this situation and hope others avoid this.

-Thomas

Oh dear, that really sucks. At least you learned a valuable lesson (check your bank statements) and are trying to help others avoid your fate.

end of story

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

lol sucks, but kinda funny that he thought that.

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

Whoops
I paid $0.00 for 10 years of Playstation Network

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Since when has a company forced the consumer into an agreement other than the one they agreed to?

He agreed to a re-occurring payment of $7.99 a month. Regardless if there's a better deal out there, I am certain there are laws preventing companies from switching consumers' plans without telling them.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

OUCH.

god thanks, and made sony get my online free :P

mrstickball the problem he is paying now almost three years of service.

which probably he wont use 100% for a year of use.

Around the Network

I don't see the confusion. You have a choice, either pay $50 a year or pay $8 per month. Sure 8*12=96, but, hey that's you're fault for not doing a little quick math. At least he realized he was an idiot for thinking they would just stop charging him when he reached $50, I mean it did say $8 a month.

A lot of companies have pricing like this. If I choose to pay my insurance on a monthly term vs all at once, I get a $5 payment process fee. So an extra $60 a year.

i just cant believe he thought that.. why didnt he check his bank statements...

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

URNotE said:
Whoops

Wow, trolling before the thread even took off.

SW-5120-1900-6153

URNotE said:
Whoops

no need for trolling

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

URNotE said:
Whoops

I'm sure some would say it's not even worth that.

:P