By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What has Sony lost really?

http://www.vgtilt.com/2008/10/what-has-sony-really-lost.html

Hmmm i think Square said a couple of times that final fantasy was only on ps3 but this write up i agree with for the most part.

Also they lost 1st place.

Discuss! 

Around the Network

Money!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

their respect... they actually thought $600 was reasonable for a console with the Playstation brand. They just became too arrogant. I can't spell today.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Not a great article, some things I agree with and some I don't.

1st - The PS2 exclusives may not have been announced on the PS3, but consumers attributed these franchises with Sony. Some owners may have bought a PS3 believing it was on the only place to play these games. Once the next generation starts gamers won't immediately go to Sony for their favorite franchises. This is a very big loss for Sony, but it may not be realized until the next generation.

2nd - PS3 may or may not pass the 360 this generation. However, I don't think sales of the 360 are going to disappear in Q1 2009 once the 360 surpasses the XBox. MS did succeed in expanding its market at the expense of Sony. However, I doubt Sony expected to dominiate like they did the previous generation.

3rd - Agreed. PS3 gamers have not lost anything by having these games on the 360. It gives gamers a choice of systems (although I guess this is a minus for Sony).

4th - Agreed (although I think Nintendo has better studios). Sony does have great 1st and 2nd party studios that make some great games. This is where they will need to differentiate themselves from MS and Nintendo. 1st party software kept Nintendo alive through the previous generation and is why they are on top this generation.

Sony isn't leaving the console market anytime soon, but to say they have not lost anything is naive.

Article sounds like Sony is exactly where it wants to be... cool.

Around the Network

Sony lost all the exclusives because last gen they were basically a monopoly this generation they are in third. Currently most third party dev shops are making there game for the 360 First and porting over to the PS3 the issue with that is you have the weaknesses of both the 360 and PS3. Back in the day everything was made for the PS2 and ported elsewhere.

The biggest issue is MS know has awesome third party support which they did not have on the orginal xbox. This in turn has finally made them a player in the console buisness

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

I agree with the author in regards to the lost exclusives being unrealistic assumptions created by the loyal consumers. They are most assuredly not the fault of Sony. Unfortunately these expectations sold their console, and are part and parcel of their public image. So it is actually a large loss for Sony. You cannot reap the rewards of a public persona, and then cry fowl when that persona brings heat upon you. When you do not regulate public perceptions you invite situations such as this. While Sony may technically be clean what matters is their persona has become tarnished. Whether Sony deserves this loss is irrelevant for consumers it is now a brand stigma.

I disagree with the assessment that Sony first and second party development can make up the short fall. The problem with this logic is that it in no way matches Nintendo. Nor can it counteract the Microsoft strategy. Which is one of purchasing exclusives. While it may be less profitable at first blush the reality is that it is cheaper to buy an exclusive then to develop an exclusive. Microsoft can make up the difference through their licensing and live service fees. Microsoft has the safer strategy. Not only does it bring more exclusives to their console, but the console architecture ensures PC porting to their console. Sony cannot internally develop itself out of this situation. They must begin to earnestly secure third party exclusives.

I also disagree with the authors bullish opinion of what the console has retained. The reality is that Sony has lost a great deal. I would also say on perhaps every single front. Their public perception has been shaken. They have strengthened their competition. They have found a bad economic model. They have managed to work themselves into a weak library. They let these persist and it will be a long expensive uphill battle for the brand in this generation and the next.

Not a great article.

"We all know the xbox 360 is in the lead right now but they're not selling to anyone that isn't outside their xbox 1 fan base and install base. The xbox sold 26.8 million units by the end of its 4 year life cycle, guys. The xbox 360 is on its 3rd year and it's at 21 million units sold world wide.
Is that a win for them guys? Is it a win that they are 2nd place i n an inevitable console war loss again? No."

21 million sold, and still selling great. Apparently though, it's all selling to old Xbox users.

"Sony has legs to stand on and they haven't lost a damn thing. If you ask me, they've gained new ground with new franchises and will continue to do so. The coming weeks, months and years ahead will prove very telling for the naysayers."

If Sony hasn't lost a thing, Microsoft can drop 360 prices another $50 and still be A-okay.

Dodece said:
I agree with the author in regards to the lost exclusives being unrealistic assumptions created by the loyal consumers. They are most assuredly not the fault of Sony. Unfortunately these expectations sold their console, and are part and parcel of their public image. So it is actually a large loss for Sony. You cannot reap the rewards of a public persona, and then cry fowl when that persona brings heat upon you. When you do not regulate public perceptions you invite situations such as this. While Sony may technically be clean what matters is their persona has become tarnished. Whether Sony deserves this loss is irrelevant for consumers it is now a brand stigma.

I disagree with the assessment that Sony first and second party development can make up the short fall. The problem with this logic is that it in no way matches Nintendo. Nor can it counteract the Microsoft strategy. Which is one of purchasing exclusives. While it may be less profitable at first blush the reality is that it is cheaper to buy an exclusive then to develop an exclusive. Microsoft can make up the difference through their licensing and live service fees. Microsoft has the safer strategy. Not only does it bring more exclusives to their console, but the console architecture ensures PC porting to their console. Sony cannot internally develop itself out of this situation. They must begin to earnestly secure third party exclusives.

I also disagree with the authors bullish opinion of what the console has retained. The reality is that Sony has lost a great deal. I would also say on perhaps every single front. Their public perception has been shaken. They have strengthened their competition. They have found a bad economic model. They have managed to work themselves into a weak library. They let these persist and it will be a long expensive uphill battle for the brand in this generation and the next.

Wow well said!!!

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

c0rd said:

Not a great article.

"We all know the xbox 360 is in the lead right now but they're not selling to anyone that isn't outside their xbox 1 fan base and install base. The xbox sold 26.8 million units by the end of its 4 year life cycle, guys. The xbox 360 is on its 3rd year and it's at 21 million units sold world wide.
Is that a win for them guys? Is it a win that they are 2nd place i n an inevitable console war loss again? No."

21 million sold, and still selling great. Apparently though, it's all selling to old Xbox users.

"Sony has legs to stand on and they haven't lost a damn thing. If you ask me, they've gained new ground with new franchises and will continue to do so. The coming weeks, months and years ahead will prove very telling for the naysayers."

If Sony hasn't lost a thing, Microsoft can drop 360 prices another $50 and still be A-okay.

I agreed it has sold 21.5 million and thats before CHRISTMAS!! it should sell close to the orgingal xbox by end of this year. Can sony say that for the PS3 to the PS2?  And I am not an old xbox person I had a PS2 so, not sure where he pulled that out of.  Sony lost a lot but still has a chance to right the ship they are a great company with a solid prodcut.  This economic recession could not hit at a worse time for them.  They are the only ones with a $400.00 console Both MS and WII are CONSIDERABLY cheaper to buy and bring home.