By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor : MS crippling the smaller developer.

If that is true, I feel sorry for the Japanese devs in that situation.

Just like mentioned above, they could just do XBLA. I don't see what the point is from a retail perspective.

Being small makes them unfit to sustain a failure, so they need to start of small first before they can run.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

It sucks for companies like ARSYS or whomever made Guilty Gear/Battle Fantasia, because the creator recently said the 360 was the best platform to make for on the market (im guessing outside of PS2/handheld units) and Battle Fantasia hasn't even sold 5k copies in the US. So that might mean we won't be seeing niche games anymore on the 360 unless they are XBLA titles.

It's just that simple.

TruckOSaurus said:
Everstar said:
TruckOSaurus said:
starcraft said:
How could one make a retail game for an HD system that wasn't required to sell 56k for a profit?

Just curious did your 56k sales come from a weird brain association with 56k modems?

im assuming it cam from 50k + 6k = 56k thats called math btw

That makes more sense... I didn't factor in the Japan copies. Silly me!

Lulz

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

CAL4M1TY said:
crippling small developers?

I think you fail to understand what small developers are, they probably can't even develop for ANY company because of the costs involved.

That's exactly why Microsoft is the friend of the truly small developer through it's XBLA service, which is far superior to PSN and Wiiware (obviously) because it's a platform for unknown and very small developers to put their products out there for people to play without the huge costs involved with actually making discs.

PSN is doing that, but MS led the way.

where was the last time you touched the PSN store, it complete redesign and it got more games ;).

Jo21 said:
CAL4M1TY said:
crippling small developers?

I think you fail to understand what small developers are, they probably can't even develop for ANY company because of the costs involved.

That's exactly why Microsoft is the friend of the truly small developer through it's XBLA service, which is far superior to PSN and Wiiware (obviously) because it's a platform for unknown and very small developers to put their products out there for people to play without the huge costs involved with actually making discs.

PSN is doing that, but MS led the way.

where was the last time you touched the PSN store, it complete redesign and it got more games ;).

do you mean it has more games than it used to have or do you mean it has more games than its competitors have?

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Dejavu

All those people advising the devs to make XBLA games need to listen to common sense, not MS reps.

First of all, there is a size restraint on XBLA games, a reasonably limiting one I believe
Second, If you're aiming at the casuals, XBLA release is ludicrous. Arcade model doesn't have a harddrive, and many casual gamers would not buy downloadable games.

Anyway, only a rumour at this point

scottie said:

Second, If you're aiming at the casuals, XBLA release is ludicrous. Arcade model doesn't have a harddrive, and many casual gamers would not buy downloadable games.

PopCap would probably disagree.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Like others have said If your game is not even going to sell 50,000 copies why even make it a retail release

Having no idea what the game is I find it hard to say anything. But perhaps it would have sold better as a disc based game :P