By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Nietzsche Appreciation Thread!

Post your favorite Nietzsche picture or quote to honor one of the most profound philosophers in history!

The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.

-Nietzsche

(sourced from the net because I am too lazy to go get my Nietzsche books)

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

These ones are all pretty good:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

I've actually had this on my MySpace page for years:

HEY while we are at this, how the hell are you supposed to properly pronounce "Nietzsche" I've heard it pronounced about 10 different ways, have asked several different people. No one I know is sure of the pronunciation. It makes it hard to have a conversation about him if we can't pronounce his name.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Knee-cha.

I've heard a lot of people say Knee-chi too, but I am pretty sure Knee-cha is correct.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Well, I

Around the Network

Just say "Nice to meetchya Nietzsche."

Or listen to Monty Python's "Bruces' Philosophers Song" in which they say "There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist."

Moongoddess256 said:
Well, I <3 Nietzsche, even if he did hate women.

I really don't think he did.  What have you read of his that you are basing that off of?  I will say that he was probably more comfortable with the idea of "man" than "woman" as he was a kind of sheltered kind of guy.

I remember reading an excerpt from one of his works talking about how he thinks it is a pretty limited mindset to think that a woman should not be able to ever have premarital sex, especially if she actually loves the person and she is not doing it for a petty reason.

I'm not sure if its something I've read or just quotes I've seen on the internet. Regardless, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzschean does have a section about that.

From what I remember, what I had seen made me chuckle though.

By the way, is it normal for people to find Nietzsche funny? My mom thought I was weird for it.

No, its totally normal to find Nietzsche funny. He was one of the best people at not taking his own stuff too seriously and laughing about even the most serious topics. His stuff is really filled with a lot of humor, and he loves to just play with language.

Anyone who doesn't see the humor in Nietzsche doesn't completely understand Nietzsche. Some of his stuff, like in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, is really a mock-epic, which comes off as really serious, but if you take a step back is laughable sometimes.

But that really is part of Nietzsche's genius. Nietzsche is the ultimate synthesizer. He is able to combine even the most disparate elements of metaphysics and human nature into a cohesive and inspiring vision. And not only the serious aspects of those things either, but their comedic aspects as well.

I think the entire concept of philosophy is funny, including all my favorites, like Feuerbach, Nietzsche, and Sartre. Other concepts I find funny: truth, religion, justice, communication, love, weird internet sex moves.