By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the lacking 3rd party support a myth?

Come on are you guys being serious? Since the Wii blew up I have been hearing (or rather reading) on this website that good games take two years to make and all the 3rd parties bet on PS3 (and to a lesser extent 360). But 3rd parties are announcing big new games that are just starting development now and they are for PS360 not for the Wii. I don't see that changing. Yes 3rd party games will come to Wii but all the blockbusters will go to PS360 with the lesser games coming to the Wii. The only exception I see to this will be games that generate the bulk of their sales in Japan.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
astrosmash said:
mowe said:
Check out my signature.
Yes, the Wii does have a lot of games, but that comes with being the best selling system.
The games themselves are pieces of monkey crap held together by more monkey droppings.

And your sig is a perfect example of what Rol was talking about.  That citing meta-critic has largely replaced the meme of "3rd parties don't support the wii".

(but I am pretty sure I still see "3rd parties don't support the wii" at least a couple of time per week; I think it was just the week before last there was a huge discussion about the how wii could be the first console ever to win a gen without having the most games)

I don't understand, are you saying that citing average review scores is not a good indication as to which console has the better games?

What do you suggest would be a better way then, because purely using the number of games is bullshit, and you know it. A console with a good library of games (3rd party or otherwise) will have the review scores to back it up. 9 times out of 10, good games get good reviews.

Compared to the 360 and the PS3, the Wii does not have many good games.

Again, I think Metacritic is good source:

No. of games with a 75 average or above

360: 191
PS3: 104

Wii: 55

Look at PS3 vs Wii, two consoles that released at the same time. Wii having half the good games despite twice the sales? Unnacceptable.

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

@mowe: Devs doubted the Wii so bad up to the point that they didn't plan any major or quality game. They were proven wrong by it's sales and they were left astounded and had to catch up fast. They are losing a huge opportunity, so it's not weird that most of the recent announcements have been for the Wii. Forget about exclusive games from 3rd parties for the PS3 or 360, that's not gonna happen. On the other hand Wii will get quite a few.

Still devs have a lot of catching up to do, so maybe you need to be more realistic, since most of the released/yet to be released games were announced way before the Wii launched, or within the first year of the Wii, when devs were unsure of the success.

We can agree though that some Wii hating companies, no matter how hard their investors yell at them, will never support the Wii seriously (Ubisoft, SE, Konami). But we've seen a recent shift, mainly from Japanese devs that has been incredible. After this holiday season, the devs that keep ignoring the Wii definitely got no clue of what they are doing. Even worse if the company is a Japanese one, as massive losses will be hard to recoup.

Also the majority of the media hates the Wii for no apparent reason, therefore score it's games lower or simply don't review Wii games. Such is the case, that there are far more games with 75% or more if you choose games with less than 20 reviews in Gamerankings. There are more than 100 games with an average score of 71% and up, it's just that most review site do not want to review Wii games, they hate it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

^Why do you put Konami in that list? Sure they haven't brought the level of quality as they did with NES or SNES but they have a few very good games on the Wii-

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=190&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Does Wii lack 3rd party support? No... There are tons of games out there...

Does the Wii lack AAA 3rd party support. YES.

Most of the 3rd party support are either reinvented late PS2 generation games (House of Dead), cut down current generation games (Deadrising, Godfather, etc.), or just plain shovelware (Endless titles fall here). There are very few real AAA games that are part of this generation (Call of Duty 3, Force Unleashed, etc.).

Around the Network

@coasterlove: The truth is that Konami is a small dev now, it's not a very large dev anymore. So it will be fun to see how they plan on making money now that the MGS card has been played. Maybe make an expansion or even port it to 360?

We shouldn't be too worried about them, since they are almost irrelevant to the industry right now. Look they are making yet another music game when clearly they are gonna get destroyed by GH and RB. They need money and new ideas, but sadly they are stuck in their old ways and I hope things don't turn out good for them.

The only games that are only decent from that list are Elebits, Dewy's Adventure and PES08 (which launched like half a year later and was left out of a lot of content), the rest are either shovelware or games that are getting not very positive previews from most of the sites. Also announcing the HD Castlevania after giving us the CV fighter spin-off is just an insult. Even the director of the game said that he wasn't happy with what he was doing.

So screw you Konami.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

@Neoratt: CoD 3 and SW:TFU are AAA games?

HAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Replace them with NMH :)

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

NeoRatt said:
Does Wii lack 3rd party support? No... There are tons of games out there...

Does the Wii lack AAA 3rd party support. YES.

Most of the 3rd party support are either reinvented late PS2 generation games (House of Dead), cut down current generation games (Deadrising, Godfather, etc.), or just plain shovelware (Endless titles fall here). There are very few real AAA games that are part of this generation (Call of Duty 3, Force Unleashed, etc.).

Call of Duty 3, Force Unleashed AAA?  Oh no things must be even worse than I thought on the 3rd party front if we have to treat these as AAA to have any AAA 3rd party games on Wii

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

It's a myth, even if almost all the games are crap the Wii has a big 3rd party support.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

mowe said:
astrosmash said:
mowe said:
Check out my signature.
Yes, the Wii does have a lot of games, but that comes with being the best selling system.
The games themselves are pieces of monkey crap held together by more monkey droppings.

And your sig is a perfect example of what Rol was talking about.  That citing meta-critic has largely replaced the meme of "3rd parties don't support the wii".

I don't understand, are you saying that citing average review scores is not a good indication as to which console has the better games?

My thoughts on the validity of using review scores to compare consoles had nothing to do with my statement.

When the wii first came out and was selling like crazy, one of the most common attacks against it was the it had "no third party support". More recently, this critism has been less prevelent  than the critisism that the review scores of its games are low. (though obviously I still see the former enough to have felt this thread was needed)

All I was saying was that your signature was a perfect example of how most people now critisize the wii via review scores.