By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much space does MGS4 really use on the BluRay Disk?

Aldro said:
Well if you say so :)..

I do like the blu-ray joke scene in MGS4.

Otacon says: SNAKE WAIT, its time to put in disc 2 can you find it?

Snake says: Ehhhum????

Otacon says: OH RIGHT we are on the playstation 3 system! no need for a disc 2, this is blu-ray! DUAL LAYER TOO!

Snake says: Meh get a grip Otacon!

*Game continues*

XD thats fun

I`m not saying is going to happen, but in game jokes as the support of exclusivity is plain dumb, like MGS featured a PS1 similar references, the GC version translated this references to the GC, the same can be done with a 360 port...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Onyxmeth said:

Like I said in another thread, all of the cutscenes are available on torrent sites in 720p. The file size is 9.2 GB. Take it for what it's worth. I'm pretty sure most of the data you're searching for isn't publicly available.

Just searched. This is actually true. And I've been reading some where that MGS4 is a 33GB game... and that's probably compressed....

I think if MGS4 were to go to 360 they could find a way to fit it on 2-3 discs.

But will it be worth it??

Even if it were 50 Gigs and needed 6 DVD's it would be worth it.

Otacon says: "Snake it's time to put in disc two. Can you find it?"

Snake says: "Eehum?"

Otacon says: "Wait this is the XBOX 360! We're on disc 4!"

Snake says: "Meh. Get a grip Otacon."

Game continues......... XD

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:

You are generalizing too much for the sake of justification.  I for one can tell the difference, and worth it or not is another discussion in of itself.  Just because it isn't worth it to you doesn't give the you right to deem it as fact for all.  And I agree multiple discs were used in the past and now, but how often have you heard of a console game coming in 5 DVD's (one for each act in MGS4?)  That will also take some special packaging that will add to the manufacturing and shipping costs. Now, I never said it was impossible.  It's not as easy as some would like to fantizise.

What audio hardware do you have?

How do you prove you can tell the difference? The only real proof is if you can go through a double-blind test, meaning a test in which you don't know whether you're listening to uncompressed audio or (professionally) compressed audio. Then you're supposed to tell whether there's compression or not, and hit the right answer virtually 100% of the time.

Many people in audio-related websites have done tests like this, and only a few can tell the difference (not on a TV by the way, and certainly not while in the midst of frantic game action).

" It's not as easy as some would like to fantizise."

It doesn't matter whether it's easy or not... What matters is that it's possible, as long as we're discussing the feasibility of this port.

You're in such denial because when people have a choice to enjoy something better you make opinionated excuses.  I HAVE hear both compressed from a DVD and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio from a Blu-ray source, both running from a receiver that supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.  I don't need to know or not know which is which to hear the difference.  The advantage is there.  Some think it's worth it while others don't, and it's all fine.  I am sooooooooooooo sorry that Blu-ray allows for the storage space for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and then some, allowing for those who can take advantage of it to do so (sarcasm of course).  And the only console that offers a Blu-ray solution is the PS3.  I'm sooooooooo sorry that you keep making excuses against it (no sarcasm this time because I really do feel sorry for you).  And in regards to multiple discs, part of the reality is cost which multiple discs is apart of which is all that I was pointing out.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

d21lewis said:
Otacon says: "Snake it's time to put in disc two. Can you find it?"

Snake says: "Eehum?"

Otacon says: "Wait this is the XBOX 360! We're on disc 4!"

Snake says: "Meh. Get a grip Otacon."

Game continues......... XD

Not as funny because I personally feel that the intend of humor is to allow nostalgic gamers to reflect to the time when multiple discs were required for games relatively like MGS4.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:

How do you prove you can tell the difference? The only real proof is if you can go through a double-blind test, meaning a test in which you don't know whether you're listening to uncompressed audio or (professionally) compressed audio. Then you're supposed to tell whether there's compression or not, and hit the right answer virtually 100% of the time.

Many people in audio-related websites have done tests like this, and only a few can tell the difference (not on a TV by the way, and certainly not while in the midst of frantic game action).

It doesn't matter whether it's easy or not... What matters is that it's possible, as long as we're discussing the feasibility of this port.

You're in such denial because when people have a choice to enjoy something better you make opinionated excuses.  I HAVE hear both compressed from a DVD and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio from a Blu-ray source, both running from a receiver that supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.  I don't need to know or not know which is which to hear the difference.  The advantage is there.  Some think it's worth it while others don't, and it's all fine.  I am sooooooooooooo sorry that Blu-ray allows for the storage space for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and then some, allowing for those who can take advantage of it to do so (sarcasm of course).  And the only console that offers a Blu-ray solution is the PS3.  I'm sooooooooo sorry that you keep making excuses against it (no sarcasm this time because I reallyso feel sorry for you).  And in regards to multiple discs, part of the reality is cost which multiple discs is apart of which is all that I was pointing out.

In case you didn't know, DVD doesn't use lossy compression, it's either uncompressed audio or lossless compression using the Meridian codec. For someone who seemed like an audiophile, you're sure ignorant about how these formats work.

You don't need to be sorry for me, I'm not making excuses just telling you that IMO (and based on data from real world testing) decently compressed audio is about the smallest reduction in quality a game can get.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:

You're in such denial because when people have a choice to enjoy something better you make opinionated excuses.  I HAVE hear both compressed from a DVD and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio from a Blu-ray source, both running from a receiver that supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.  I don't need to know or not know which is which to hear the difference.  The advantage is there.  Some think it's worth it while others don't, and it's all fine.  I am sooooooooooooo sorry that Blu-ray allows for the storage space for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and then some, allowing for those who can take advantage of it to do so (sarcasm of course).  And the only console that offers a Blu-ray solution is the PS3.  I'm sooooooooo sorry that you keep making excuses against it (no sarcasm this time because I reallyso feel sorry for you).  And in regards to multiple discs, part of the reality is cost which multiple discs is apart of which is all that I was pointing out.

In case you didn't know, DVD doesn't use lossy compression, it's either uncompressed audio or lossless compression using the Meridian codec. For someone who seemed like an audiophile, you're sure ignorant about how these formats work.

You don't need to be sorry for me, I'm not making excuses just telling you that IMO (and based on data from real world testing) decently compressed audio is about the smallest reduction in quality a game can get.

Name me a viable DVD source that effectively employs Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio...

Jordahn said:

Name me a viable DVD source that effectively employs Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio...

I didn't say it uses those formats.

EDIT - I just noticed the DVD spec also allows for AC3 compressed audio, so I was wrong on that one (uncompressed PCM is also allowed though). But my point still stands that most people don't have the hardware or the ears to notice the difference between high-bitrate compressed audio and uncompressed audio.

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:

I didn't say it uses those formats.

EDIT - I just noticed the DVD spec also allows for AC3 compressed audio, so I was wrong on that one (uncompressed PCM is also allowed though). But my point still stands that most people don't have the hardware or the ears to notice the difference between high-bitrate compressed audio and uncompressed audio.

As I will reiterate from my original post to you also taking what you just said, "With your logic, everyone should just stop making progression in technology since the majority can never initially take advantage of it..."

What's my logic? I think you're overplaying or misinterpreting my claim... I'm simply saying that compressing the audio isn't a big deal if that's what they need to do to decrease the number of DVDs. The vast majority of people will not notice the difference as long as the audio is well compressed (which Konami definitely has the resources for).

I didn't say uncompressed audio is worthless.