By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Steve Jobs on Blu-ray, ouch!

I heard he was dead.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network
hanafuda said:
I heard he was dead.

Somehow there's always "rumors" of him dead... Hmmm... Hey! Maybe they put him on strings! He's actually dead!

Kasz216 said:
heruamon said:
There seem to be very little enthusiasm from people other than Sony and disney about brd...if different, please provide data.

Movie companys in general are enthusiastic.

Why wouldn't they be.  It means they get to sell extra copies of movies they've already sold.

Not only that but this last year or so the profit they make per DVD copy sold has slowly diminished as DVD prices slowly went down and I doubt they like that fact...( DVD market total revenue isn't growing anymore).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
heruamon said:
There seem to be very little enthusiasm from people other than Sony and disney about brd...if different, please provide data.

Movie companys in general are enthusiastic.

Why wouldn't they be.  It means they get to sell extra copies of movies they've already sold.

Not only that but this last year or so the profit they make per DVD copy sold has slowly diminished as DVD prices slowly went down and I doubt they like that fact...( DVD market total revenue isn't growing anymore).

Years ago, when the RIAA was suing Napster, I remember reading a pretty indepth analysis of record company profits which argued that it wasn't piracy that was cutting into music profits.

The argument was (essentially) that every time the music industry created a new format people replaced their existing copy of an album for the same version of the album in the new format. As the format of choice switched from CD to MP3 people had no need to buy a new album because they could simply convert a CD to a collection of MP3s. This resulted in fewer old album sales, which were generally very high margin (because the production and marketing costs were far smaller), and noticeably smaller profits and hurt labels' bottom lines ... The analysis was fairly effective in demonstrating that new music sales had not been impacted, and the decline in sales was focused around older albums.

With that in mind, I think that companies (in particular Disney) require the high margin sales of older movies that are released to a new format to maintain their profit margins and will do anything within their power to force people to upgrade.

Ail said:
Hands Fishy Joe his 'I hate Blu_Ray' membership group badge.

I'm not a hater. I have serious doubts about the business strategy used.

I really don't hate anything, that is a strong emotion. Doubt and skepticism, I certainly have that. I'm not sure why certain people equate doubt with hatred, but it seems to happen a lot.

If at some point Blu-ray looks like it's going to skyrocket, I will have no issues investing in Sony or whoever else can make money on the technology. But I just don't see it any time in the near future.

Around the Network

I really wouldn't expect Apple to adopt BD now... Heck, in the entry level Mac Mini they still fit a jurassic combo drive, CD-R/RW, but only DVD-ROM, even now that DVD+-R/RW drives are available for less than 30€ retail price!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

FishyJoe said:
Ail said:
Hands Fishy Joe his 'I hate Blu_Ray' membership group badge.

I'm not a hater. I have serious doubts about the business strategy used.

I really don't hate anything, that is a strong emotion. Doubt and skepticism, I certainly have that. I'm not sure why certain people equate doubt with hatred, but it seems to happen a lot.

If at some point Blu-ray looks like it's going to skyrocket, I will have no issues investing in Sony or whoever else can make money on the technology. But I just don't see it any time in the near future.

You should have chosen a better thread title.

See he's learned to cover his ass, in the old days he'd just rip things like ARPANET a new one because they didn't fit into his master plan. Now he trashes them in a way that goes straight over fanboys heads, good job stevie!

Alby Da Wolf, the Mac Mini hasn't been udated in a long time, should be due for an upgrade soon.

Everyone, there were rumours that Blu Ray drives would be added as options for the Macbook/Pro line yesterday. They weren't and thus it is a blow to Blu Ray

FishyJoe said:

Very hot off the presses. This was just said a couple of minutes ago in his laptop presentation. Keep in mind that Apple has a seat on the board of directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association. They also sell movies on iTunes, which I guess competes on some level with Blu-ray. Either way they make money I suppose.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

10:56AM "Blu-ray?"

Steve: "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Does he not know people can buy Apple computers with Blu-ray drives??? lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453