By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - C&C: Red Alert 3 is going to be just like the old Westwood games!

gonna be an AMAZING game.

Around the Network

I hope it is, but doubt it will be. I would be happy with Red Alert 2 but with new skins and textures. Are the classic maps there which people have tried to recreate for all of the others, but failed miserably (e.g. Hammer and Sickle)?

SHMUPGurus said:
FaithRaven said:

I'm bought my first computer back in the '97 expecially to play Red Alert. I doubt that RA3 will be as good as the first one though.

It doesn't have to be better. It simply needs the feel that we're playing a Red Alert game with the usual Allies Vs. Soviets conflict, and the amazing soundtrack and stapled units.

Also flagship, C&C 3 was part of the original C&C storyline, so what can you expect? Kane is getting old, and I've never been a fan of this particular series. Red Alert was always superior to the main series because of its humor and what I've said above.

Funny how a spin-off can be better than the main series eh?

In that case you should get Command & Conquer: The First Decade (PC DVD) like I just did :)

Staude said:
SHMUPGurus said:
zexen_lowe said:
I don't know, I loved Red Alert, but EA hasn't released a great C&C since RA2 (which already was inferior to the first), then came the horrible Generals and the just decent Tiberium Wars. This one has the Hell March and the cutscenes, but the gameplay doesn't look similar to Red Alert at all. I'm not getting that vibe, maybe I'll be proven wrong, I hope

Well, you have the building boxes like the old ones (which is a big step from Tiberium Wars), separate units (it doesn't say ''building'' when you click on an on-foot unit this time though!) and the stapled units such as Tanya, Dogs, Apocalypse Tank (or at least the Soviets have the best tank, like in the old one), etc. There's also the Chronosphere, the Iron Curtain and the Tesla Towers! The gameplay is like every strategy game, so I don't see how it can be different other than the new naval aspect.

I have to disagree about Red Alert 2 though. Sure, it didn't have the sneaking missions from Red Alert, but the engine was so much superior to it's predecessor, and the new units were much needed. Westwood Pacific made the game if you didn't know, so shame on you! xD

actually just westwood studios.. they didn't have.. departments like that.  :p

Hmm.. one thing i'm wondering is why you keep referring to the naval aspect as new ? i mean you could have ships in both ra1 and ra2. The only new thing is the whole "build ya freakin base on water mate."

You are right, it is a staple, but they've improved it by just doing that. I think it's a lot more fun to create barrages of Tesla Towers on the water surrounding your base than putting them along beach lines like in the old RA games. I know my brother got sick of them after a while! xD

Also, it feels like the maps will really make use of the amphibian units more than anything. I usually just make a few of those Allied amphibian ships, and I pwn everyone!

And about that Westwood Pacific thingy, explain this:

*HINT: Look at the bottom right corner. o_O

After EA acquired Westwood, EA acquired a development studio somewhere in Irvine, California, and it was ''the little part'' of Westwood that managed the studio, which was then known as Westwood Pacific (and later EA Pacific).

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

YEs! finnally haha i still play Red Alert 2 i have been waiting for this game for a long time it looks sweet.

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
Staude said:
SHMUPGurus said:
zexen_lowe said:
I don't know, I loved Red Alert, but EA hasn't released a great C&C since RA2 (which already was inferior to the first), then came the horrible Generals and the just decent Tiberium Wars. This one has the Hell March and the cutscenes, but the gameplay doesn't look similar to Red Alert at all. I'm not getting that vibe, maybe I'll be proven wrong, I hope

Well, you have the building boxes like the old ones (which is a big step from Tiberium Wars), separate units (it doesn't say ''building'' when you click on an on-foot unit this time though!) and the stapled units such as Tanya, Dogs, Apocalypse Tank (or at least the Soviets have the best tank, like in the old one), etc. There's also the Chronosphere, the Iron Curtain and the Tesla Towers! The gameplay is like every strategy game, so I don't see how it can be different other than the new naval aspect.

I have to disagree about Red Alert 2 though. Sure, it didn't have the sneaking missions from Red Alert, but the engine was so much superior to it's predecessor, and the new units were much needed. Westwood Pacific made the game if you didn't know, so shame on you! xD

actually just westwood studios.. they didn't have.. departments like that.  :p

Hmm.. one thing i'm wondering is why you keep referring to the naval aspect as new ? i mean you could have ships in both ra1 and ra2. The only new thing is the whole "build ya freakin base on water mate."

You are right, it is a staple, but they've improved it by just doing that. I think it's a lot more fun to create barrages of Tesla Towers on the water surrounding your base than putting them along beach lines like in the old RA games. I know my brother got sick of them after a while! xD

Also, it feels like the maps will really make use of the amphibian units more than anything. I usually just make a few of those Allied amphibian ships, and I pwn everyone!

And about that Westwood Pacific thingy, explain this:

*HINT: Look at the bottom right corner. o_O

After EA acquired Westwood, EA acquired a development studio somewhere in Irvine, California, and it was ''the little part'' of Westwood that managed the studio, which was then known as Westwood Pacific (and later EA Pacific).

erm.... look at the buttom right corner ?

It says

Westwood

Studios

lol.. EA made yuris revenge though if that's what you are refering too :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:

It says

Westwood

Studios

Still, the point is that it was Westwood, so I consider RA 2 ''Westwood-quality,'' and it was damn better than all the previous Kane C&C games that came out before it IMO.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Red Alert 2 was a spectacular game. I'm still playing it today.

Currently playing: Civ 6

SHMUPGurus said:
Staude said:

It says

Westwood

Studios

Still, the point is that it was Westwood, so I consider RA 2 ''Westwood-quality,'' and it was damn better than all the previous Kane C&C games that came out before it IMO.

ra2 was a gem indeed.. but nothing surpasses the dawn ! :P in my opinion. A new unofficial patch was just released recently for it including some missions westwood had disabled along with skirmish, updated multiplayer and a few other things :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
SHMUPGurus said:
Staude said:

It says

Westwood

Studios

ra2 was a gem indeed.. but nothing surpasses the dawn ! :P in my opinion. A new unofficial patch was just released recently for it including some missions westwood had disabled along with skirmish, updated multiplayer and a few other things :p

lol, nice! But without multiple unit ''building,'' it makes creating an army damn tedious! I can hardly play Tiberian Dawn and the original RA today because of that, I guess I don't have as much patience as before! o_O

Random game thought :