By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - McCain's crowds

HappySqurriel said:
akuma587 said:
HappySqurriel said:

One thing to consider is I don't think I have ever seen a single individual who had nearly as many associations with extremists and radicals as Barack Obama who has had a successful political career. Many people will see these associations in blogs and youtube videos, and follow up doing some research and seeing that these articles and videos are factually sound, and start to accept any conclusions that were made.

The reality is that a lot of these outbursts are a direct result of the media not doing its job, not giving people balanced coverage of the election, and therefore giving propagandists hard facts to present to people to convert them to their viewpoint. The most dangerous propaganda is based on unspoken truths ...

Have you seen how freaking insane a small but visible portion of Christians are in the US?  Those people are as radical or more radical than anyone Obama has associated with. 

1) Reverend Wright is pointed out because = Black

2) William Ayers is pointed out because = accused of (key word here) terrorism not to mention he is in academia.  Republicans hate people in academia on principle.

If you are white and have never been accused of any crimes, it doesn't matter how insane and extreme your beliefs actually are.  It just matters that your extremity is something Americans are used to, even if they shouldn't be.

And just because you are "patriotic" doesn't make you sane.  The Russians have always been patriotic, terrorists are patriotic, hell even Hitler was patriotic.  As Samuel Johnson so tersely put it, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Outside of the whole Reverend Wright thing, sometimes it is patriotic to be unpatriotic.  Why should you stand by everything your country does if it blatantly contradicts what you believe in?  Blaming people for saying things that are "unpatriotic" is like saying that speaking our minds is something reprehensible.

I am sick of a lot of what this country has done in the last eight years, and I am ashamed that my government sometimes acts like a dictator.  A government should be judged by the worst things it does and how easily it justifies its own actions for results.  And sometimes a democracy must fight with one hand behind its back because doing so is the only way to uphold the principles of democracy.  I don't see how we can proselytze democracy abroad without upholding it here. 

Am I unpatriotic for believing that?  If I am, then patriotic is not something I ever want to be.

Reverend Wright is pointed out because he was considered Barack Obama's spiritual advisor ... Had John McCain's spiritual advisor been a preacher of a church that advocated racial segregation I'm pretty sure it would be a very big issue.

William Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist who admits to his acts and is currently a free man because the state made moronic mistakes and illegally wire-tapped him.

Edit: Also, I never said any of the relationships were meaningful just that the media not reporting on them in a way which provides balance enables extremists to use this information to convert people to their world view.

I saw a lot of people report the Reverend Wright story for way longer than the story actually deserved to be run.  I can't tell you how many times I saw that one soundbyte on TV.  And they discussed it at pretty full length.

The Ayers' story has been around for at least six months, the McCain campaign has brought it up more recently for lack of other dirt on Obama.

I have seen way more coverage of these stories than McCain's ties to the Keating Five and to Jack Abramoff, both of which are more directly relevant to politics than either of Obama's relationships.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

I saw a lot of people report the Reverend Wright story for way longer than the story actually deserved to be run.  I can't tell you how many times I saw that one soundbyte on TV.  And they discussed it at pretty full length.

The Ayers' story has been around for at least six months, the McCain campaign has brought it up more recently for lack of other dirt on Obama.

I have seen way more coverage of these stories than McCain's ties to the Keating Five and to Jack Abramoff, both of which are more directly relevant to politics than either of Obama's relationships.

The accusations of the Keating Five may be much more relevant to politics than the two Obama relationships you mentioned (the corruption implied by Obama's relationship to Tony Rezko is on par with the Keating Five) but McCain was cleared of all chages and it was ruled that his "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him" ...

akuma587 said:

Ugh, a 25 year old situation that a man was cleared of is not more relevant than who his opposition might be listening to today.

Honestly, there is no reason to bring up the Keating 5 situation at all anymore.

On the flip side of that coin, Ayers and Wright have received far too much Fox time over the past six months.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
akuma587 said:

Ugh, a 25 year old situation that a man was cleared of is not more relevant than who his opposition might be listening to today.

Honestly, there is no reason to bring up the Keating 5 situation at all anymore.

On the flip side of that coin, Ayers and Wright have received far too much Fox time over the past six months.

I agree, I don't really believe that McCain had any meaningful connection to either of those things or that Obama had any meaningful connection to Ayers or Wright in a way that would influence him politically.

Obama did have meaningful connections to Rezko, but Obama himself has said that he is not proud of those connections.  I don't hold something against a politician as much, Democrat or Republican, if they admit it isn't a good thing.  Sure, Cindy McCain popped some pills.  Do I care about it?  No.  She was honest.

George W. Bush, on the other hand, has been bailed out by his father several times for DWI and for a possession of cocaine charge in Houston.  Needless to say both were buried.  Do I hold that against him?  Yes, but not because he did those things.  I hold it against him because he covered it up.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

MontanaHatchet said:
Of course the media is liberal. Most of the news stations are run by women now.

Great argument.  Nevermind that people who run news corporations make tens of millions of dollars a year and stand to lose a ton of money with Barrack's tax plan.

The media isn't bias, reality is, and right now reality is bias against your beliefs :)

Around the Network

What media says is reality to most people.
so of course reality is bias against conservatives.
It has always been.

HappySqurriel said:

One thing to consider is I don't think I have ever seen a single individual who had nearly as many associations with extremists and radicals as Barack Obama who has had a successful political career. Many people will see these associations in blogs and youtube videos, and follow up doing some research and seeing that these articles and videos are factually sound, and start to accept any conclusions that were made.

The reality is that a lot of these outbursts are a direct result of the media not doing its job, not giving people balanced coverage of the election, and therefore giving propagandists hard facts to present to people to convert them to their viewpoint. The most dangerous propaganda is based on unspoken truths ...

I think our current president has more associations with extremists and radicals.

I also think one reason we're not getting balanced coverage is that the McCain campaign has decided to boycott the media.  Palin's been on TV what, 4 or 5 times now?  She's had 3 interviews, maybe 4?  Biden's had over 100 interviews by now.

And I'm actually getting better news about people going to Wasila to research Palin's past from OTHER COUNTRIES, not the American "liberal media."

ManusJustus said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Of course the media is liberal. Most of the news stations are run by women now.

Great argument.  Nevermind that people who run news corporations make tens of millions of dollars a year and stand to lose a ton of money with Barrack's tax plan.

The media isn't bias, reality is, and right now reality is bias against your beliefs :)

Lol?  Montana is as liberal as you can get.

McCain fanboys are becoming increasingly aroused and angry. They know they are going to lose.. and quite handily at that. Some of these people are really out there... they seem to think that Obama's presidency will be on par with the Bolshevik revolution and the ones I've talked to (I'm not saying all McCainiacs are racist) can't seem to speak about Obama without using the terms "uppity" and "nigger"... They have convinced themselves that Obama will take all their money, pay it toward reparations for slavery and put them in gulags.

Where was the secret service when this depraved redneck yelled "kill him" about Obama? I'd very much like to know.

TheRealMafoo said:
Link?

Oh, and when Clinton got called out for it, all she did was apologize to the Kennedys.

The problem is the media…

I am sure you could find people at Obama rallies that say outlandish shit. The liberal media won’t report on those.

Your link, sir.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5987004&page=1