By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the wii start getting main series instead of spin offs?

Outside of Nintendo's own franchises, Wii is going to be the platform of new, risky IPs. Things like Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, de Blob, Red Steel, and No More Heroes. Developing and publishing these games for the Wii incurs less cost and therefore less risk.

Let the HD consoles have the old blockbusters. All the crazy new ideas will come to Wii.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
yushire said:
The only 3rd party I've known that making spin offs are Konami with Castlevania Judgement

This is amusing because ctk mentions Soul Calibur Legends in the OP.  Did you read it?

What I said was this: And about spin off, I think 3rd parties dont do that anymore even Squeenix they developing for the HD consoles instead.

You must know how to read between the lines...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I think people are forgetting that when this current gen started that developers and publishers believed that the Xbox 360/PS3 were going to be the dominate platforms and structured their budgets accordingly. This is why the Xbox 360/PS3 seem to have so much support. This is changing. The Wii is getting main franchises along with the Xbox 360/PS3 and will continue to do so. The Wii will also have it's exclusives. The Wii motion plus will add to the exclusive and unique Wii games on the platform. The growing fanbase will allow publishers to take risk and develop new IPs. The future is bright for Wii gamers.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

The Wii is heading into its third year so it's unlikely to happen and the sooner you accept it the better off you'll be. Wii will definitely get great games but most will probably be niche or an acquired taste so keep an open mind.

Some of the best selling third party games in my area right now are Hell's kitchen and Price Is Right, it makes absolutely no sense for third parties to release mainstream franchises when it's these types of titles that bring in the cash.

Check out my games for sale eBay and Toycatacomb

I am no writer but I try

And

Finally

I am watching you!

Words Of Wisdom said:
yushire said:
The only 3rd party I've known that making spin offs are Konami with Castlevania Judgement

This is amusing because ctk mentions Soul Calibur Legends in the OP.  Did you read it?

Gamerace said:
In Japan you're starting to see this happen with Tales and MH3 but for franchises that are bigger in the West than Japan I doubt this will happen at all.

Hopefully Wii will get more franchises of it's own that cater to it's strength like Conduit and Red Steel 2.

Except that Tales games come to pretty much every system around.  There may as well not even be a "main series" of it. 

Also I don't see shooters really catering to the Wii's strength as a typical shooter is made better by better graphics, more people playing at once, and a strong online mode.  The Wii's IR pointer is the only redeeming feature but the trade off is significant.

True but Red Steel 2 will feature 1:1 sword fighting, HD systems can't to that.   And a game like Mario Paintball would be much bigger than the Conduit on Wii.   Still I think HVS have the right idea with the Conduit.  A straight out run-and-gun shooter with PC like control and accuracy will appeal to many lapsed/mature gamers like myself who grew up on Doom, Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein. 

But really new franchaises with new gameplay mechanics (De Blob, Zack & Wiki, Mad World) are much more interesting to me than playing yet another, prettier version of the same game that had 3 iterations last generation.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

True but Red Steel 2 will feature 1:1 sword fighting, HD systems can't to that.   And a game like Mario Paintball would be much bigger than the Conduit on Wii.   Still I think HVS have the right idea with the Conduit.  A straight out run-and-gun shooter with PC like control and accuracy will appeal to many lapsed/mature gamers like myself who grew up on Doom, Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein. 

But really new franchaises with new gameplay mechanics (De Blob, Zack & Wiki, Mad World) are much more interesting to me than playing yet another, prettier version of the same game that had 3 iterations last generation.

You really think Red Steel 2 will have 1:1 sword fighting?  Really?  I would be shocked if it was really 1:1 but we'll see I guess.

I'm growing less fond of Conduit the more I see/hear of it.  I think the developer is making a generic shooter and just telling Wii owners what we want to hear to sell it.  Whatever though, people will hear/see what they want to.

Also, talk of new franchises is slightly off-topic considering the discussion is about why existing franchises are placing main games on 360/PS3 and giving the Wii spin-offs.

patjuan32 said:
I think people are forgetting that when this current gen started that developers and publishers believed that the Xbox 360/PS3 were going to be the dominate platforms and structured their budgets accordingly. This is why the Xbox 360/PS3 seem to have so much support. This is changing. The Wii is getting main franchises along with the Xbox 360/PS3 and will continue to do so. The Wii will also have it's exclusives. The Wii motion plus will add to the exclusive and unique Wii games on the platform. The growing fanbase will allow publishers to take risk and develop new IPs. The future is bright for Wii gamers.

I think japanese 3rd parties except for Konami and Squeenix gets it, I doubt the western 3rd parties though. If western 3rd parties dont do something right away it will be their demise and the japanese developers/publishers will dominate and some western 3rd parties will be doing games on PCs alone...

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

LOL red Steel 2, is these the ones the same as KH3 Wii exclusive and Kid Icarus Wii to be released soon?

What source that says Red Steel 2 is coming? LINK?

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Most big franchises have already made the jump to HD consoles, and once it goes HD, there's no going back. The fans probably won't accept a main series taking a step back in graphics, especially when they've been just fine with the current control scheme. Also, most of these fans already have an HD console anyway, so they've got the target audience.

A game like Monster Hunter was fine since it has always had the same graphics since it started. This is also why KH3 threads get so heated - it's one of the few games that have a good shot at moving to the Wii. It's unfortunate if you're a fan of franchises from past gens, but the Wii is all about change, so it's fitting that the biggest games will be from new ideas.

tuoyo said:
Call me the eternal pessimist but unfortunately I don't see this ever happening.

The recent trend is for developers to see PS360 as one. And a big budget game which is released on PS360 is likely to have much more sales than it would have if released only on Wii. The Wii game would of course cost much less to make but it is seems more risky to release the game on Wii only than on PS360. The other option is to port to the Wii but the weaker specs means this is not always an option. Also the Wii forces developers to be creative and imaginative. With PS360 they can just rely on the technological abilities to sell the game by releasing a pretty game even if they can't come up with imaginative gameplay.

What is clear though is the Wii will definitely have much more exclusives because the cost of making a HD game combined with the relatively low installed based means unless the console maker offers you an incentive to stay exclusive it makes much more sense to release the game on both HD consoles.

I highlighted the portions where I agree with you the most.

Portion 1: To me for 3rd parties they do see it as HD -v- Wii. So alot of their development from 05' on has been focused that way. If this holiday season turns out the way that Nintendo/Analyst expect I think you will see more "main series" games being produced for the Wii, as the new Tales "Mother" series shows.

Portion 2: This for the most part is why I'm not concern with rather or not it's a spin-off. My only concern is...is it fun? and...is it entertaining? Generally bottom up built Wii games for the most part are good games.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?