By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Fact check - McCain/Obama's support for offshore drilling

If "independence from oil" is the goal, then a combination of all known tech (solar, wind, nuclear, even coal) will do the job. It won't completely rid us of our dependence, but every little bit will be a step in the right direction.

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network

"Since 1995, monitoring in the oil sands region shows improved or no change in long term air quality for the five key air quality pollutants"

", the amount of water taken for oil and gas development amounts to only about .5% of mean annual flow in the Athabasca River"

"produces about 5 or 6 times as much energy as is consumed. Energy efficiency is expected to improve"

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Soleron said:

Yes... we should do those things too (assuming domestic drilling has a benefit before 2030 as the OP's article states). I just meant that the best thing in the long term for our energy/environmental crisis would be higher oil prices, not lower, because it would encourage research.

Oil is definitely too cheap right now, and this causes people not to appreciate its value, thereby wasting it.

1 gallon of gasoline is equivalent in energetical output to 7 human slaves working for a whole day... You can buy that for $3 or $4 right now, which is nowhere near expensive IMO.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

1 gallon of gasoline is equivalent in energetical output to 7 human slaves working for a whole day... You can buy that for $3 or $4 right now, which is nowhere near expensive IMO.

Good point.

We need to lower the minimum wage. Keep the proletariat in line with the rest of our commodities.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

MrBubbles said:
"Since 1995, monitoring in the oil sands region shows improved or no change in long term air quality for the five key air quality pollutants"

", the amount of water taken for oil and gas development amounts to only about .5% of mean annual flow in the Athabasca River"

"produces about 5 or 6 times as much energy as is consumed. Energy efficiency is expected to improve"

That energy return is pretty bad compared to other oil production methods.

Water usage is still very high, and they're not even producing at full scale yet. Let's look at meaningful figures, not some random percentage:

To produce one cubic metre (m³) of synthetic crude oil (SCO) (upgraded bitumen) in a mining operation requires about 2–4.5 m³ of water (net figures).

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
NJ5 said:

Good point.

We need to lower the minimum wage. Keep the proletariat in line with the rest of our commodities.

Lol

It's an eye-opening statistic though, isn't it? For me it is at least. Our current civilization still has access to very cheap energy.