By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Could Dark Knight win Best Picture?

Never say anything against the Departed again. You have been warned that is my favorite movie ever. It deserved every award and more. THe only reason it got no acting nominations is because none of the stars wanted to endorsed by WB over the others. I've watched that movie more than any other. You have been warned do not bad mouth the Departed.

Around the Network

Probably not there are alot of other great films.

Ok here's my update. I finally got to see The Dark Knight. It doesn't deserve to win best picture in my view. This would be a sad year in movies if the best thing to come out of it was this. It's not a bad movie, but let's just say the product doesn't justify the hype. Nice performances by Ledger and Eckhart though. The ending really pissed me off though. I'm so over good villians having to day in the course of a single film.

I'm not entirely sure Ledger has enough screen time for a Best Actor bid, but I do know the Academy usually bends the rules to the point of breaking them to fit actors wherever the studio wants them placed. A nice example being Ethan Hawke having more screen time than Denzel in Training Day but Hawke gets a Supporting Actor nomination while Denzel gets the Best Actor nom. Rinse and repeat for Brokeback Mountain, Collateral and I'm sure plenty of others if I think hard enough.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Well, it really is the movie of the year so far.
I think POSTAL could give it a run for it's money though*

*Just kidding, Uwe Boll sucks

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

No, but I think Heath Ledger will have a good shot at Best Supporting Actor. The movie, though thoroughly entertaining, was not the best picture of the year. Besides, theres plenty of time this fall for the big art house movies to be released.

And for the record, I think Crash WAS good enough for the award.

Around the Network

Being a big Batman fan, im a firm believer that a Batman movie will be the first super-hero movie to get the best film Oscar, but Dark Knight is not it. Its gonna be the movie adaptation of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns(if done properly), and thats gonna happen only when the studio decides that they wont make ANY more Batman movies in the future

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

This year has been weaker for movies. What movie would beat out Dark Knight? I think Quantom of Solace will be really good, but Bond Movies are like Batman, they are not "AC" material. I think it will, everyone loves that movie. The Critics and the Average movie watchers.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Movies that I think will at least be nominated or win one or a few Academy awards this year:

Burn After Reading
The Dark Knight
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Looks so good!)
Traitor
Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr. has a good chance of getting nominated)

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ikilledkenny said:

And for the record, I think Crash WAS good enough for the award.

I hear that a lot. I'm not going to pick on your opinion, because everyone is entitled to one. Crash I feel is a great script but everything about it as far as a movie goes is dissappointing. The acting was hit and miss(mostly miss), the music was subpar, there was bad editing and to be frankly honest, Paul Haggis isn't really that great of a director based on that flick. I do hear The Valley of Elah was better though. When you put that against Brokeback, which had all of the key ingredients mashed up in a pot beautifully, there really should have been no contest. Brokeback was better than Crash in every conceivable way outside of them being pretty equal as far as the scripts go. This isn't meant to say everyone should like Brokeback over Crash. It's meant to say there are a lot of nominations that go into picking a Best Picture, and a lot of different things need to excel for it to be worthwhile of the honor.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.