By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Could Dark Knight win Best Picture?

If The Dark Knight wins Best Picture, all that means is that WALL-E got raped.

But I doubt either will win, since there are a few months left, and many other great movies I haven't seen this year.

And you should already hate the Academy for not giving every Oscar ever to Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:

But I doubt either will win, since there are a few months left, and many other great movies I haven't seen this year.

And you should already hate the Academy for not giving every Oscar ever to Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch.

Can we just agree that they won them all in spirit? Didn't Kubrick get one of those Rodney Dangerfield Oscars for his body of work?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

Can we just agree that they won them all in spirit? Didn't Kubrick get one of those Rodney Dangerfield Oscars for his body of work?

He got one Oscar in his life: Best Visual Effects for 2001.  Not even a lifetime achievement!

Onyxmeth said:

He got one Oscar in his life: Best Visual Effects for 2001.  Not even a lifetime achievement!

I've noticed that the Oscar voters don't have a vision for movies that will hold up against the test of time. It's the only reason that movies like Ordinary People can beat movies like Raging Bull. I'm sure at the time it seemed logical, but as time passes, the decisions just get more ridiculous as the winner gets forgotten and the loser becomes a milestone. A current version of that is the awful decision of giving Crash the award over Brokeback. My jaw dropped when Jack announced that little bit of blasphemy.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Theres also the case of Federico Fellini with 12 nominations and zero wins
Capped by the token Honorary award

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network

I hope not. aside from Ledger's fantastic performance, the film was a thematically muddled mess. Thoroughly entertaining, but not a "Best Picture" in any sense.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

PDF said:
I personally would like it to be at least nominated.
I want to feel like it was acknowledged by the academy.

The more movies you watch per year, the more you realize how often they miss the mark. It's almost as much of an award to be snubbed by them than it is to be nominated.

@Chrono-The Honorary Award is that award they had to create because they understand Academy voters lack foresight and look rediculous in hindsight. Sometimes it culminates in an honorary award, and sometimes it culminates in giving a great director his Oscar for a less than deserving movie to make up for numerous years of getting fucked over.

Yeah like the time they gave Scorsese a Best Director Award for The Departed. It was obviously an apology for ignoring Taxi Driver and the rest of his early amazing classic best films of all time.

@Onyxmeth
You mean Martin Scorsese, right?
They had that opportunity with Peter 'o Toole also, but they let it pass

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

BringBackChrono said:
@Onyxmeth
You mean Martin Scorsese, right?
They had that opportunity with Peter 'o Toole also, but they let it pass

Yeah Scorsese. I'm glad they didn't pull it with O'Toole because I heard Venus was not all that. I still say last year Charlie Wilson's War got robbed and should have come up with something substantial.