By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does it seem people here are scared of indie games?

You could rephrase the question "Why does it seem like people are scared of indie-movies?" and you would find the reasons were similar ...

Part of being an independant content creator is lacking the resources to create the same kind of experience, or to effectively market the content you created, as the larger (or connected) studios. This doesn't necessarily mean that the content they produce is worse, and if the developer understands their limitations and uses them to their advantage they can produce much better content, but the content is generally less flashy and commercial and can not get as large of an audience.

Around the Network
c0rd said:

"VGC interviews Lee Hickey from Games Faction"

I don't know who Lee Hickey is, nor do I know what Games Faction has done, which is why I personally did not bother reading it. It isn't that I'm "scared" of Indie games, but a game like this would take effort on my part to find (I'm not very big on PC gaming).

I'm also tight on money, so I'm skeptical about those that haven't yet proven themselves to me. I did notice there's a demo for this though, so I'll at least check it out.

Bingo. I read that title as "VGC interviews guy from place"

But if he's an important guy from a good place... then sure I'll check it out.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

There is minimal interest for indie games on PC. On the flipside look at the hype indie games get on WiiWare, PSN and XBLA. It's not the indie games themselves, it's the fact it's on the PC.

I'm sure it would have helped the article if anybody knew who Game Faction is or what they're making. Are those the World of Goo guys?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

it is not us, it is you
The article was of rather small importance

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ssj12 said:
nordlead said:
First off, I generally don't play PC games, along with the vast majority of visitors of this site. This is a console centric site, so I'm not surprised by the lack of interest in PC related things.

also, in my opinion indie games lack 1 of two things in general

1) Length
2) Polish

I personally do not know of any highly polished indie game that lasts 20 or more hours.

World of Goo has my interest, along with a few other indie games, but they are more to fill the gaps between Tales of Symphonia, Wario Land, and other big releases.

polish? as in graphics? graphics dont make game. Gameplay is what makes a game fun. Also most indie titles are free or dirt cheap so you shouldn't expect super fantastically long games.

I know I can't expect long game play, hence why I don't really pay attention to them. I can pay $50 for a 20hr game, or $10 for a 4 hour game. I prefer the former.

and polish isn't just graphics. It can be controls, interface, or plenty of other things. For example, eternities child supposedly has horid controls (not released yet, so we don't know). It may look good, but if the controls suck, then the game will too. Also, yes there are tons of retail games that lack polish, but I ignore those too.

I'm not saying you're not getting a good game experience, it is just that the vast majority of the time I would rather spend more money for a longer game, than less money for a shorter game. I don't play that many games that I can't find a nice long game that is the type of gameplay I would like to experience that is high quality.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I don't understand why people are so fond of Independent games.

They're often poorly designed, glitchy, buggy, a pain to install/run, and pretty much always inferior to a retail game.

There are the exceptions (I've played some very nice Indie games) but for the most part they're giant steaming loads of crap cluttering up my view of good games. Support the little guy trying to enter the market, I get it. That's fine, I'm all about wanting new blood in the market. I won't support garbage though and that's what a lot of independent games are. Garbage.

I see so many people using the excuse "Well it's made by a small developer" to forgive glitches and hassles that they would never put up with in a retail game and I just have to wonder "WTF." When did it become okay to get stuck in a level and have to restart the game or run into a glitch that causes the game to malfunction?

As WiiWare, XBLA, and PSN become more popular, we're starting to see GOOD Indie games. Games that aren't full blown retail worthy but are good and fun games that are worth playing. They're still not the norm though and they're mixed in with a lot of garbage.

The future is bright but for now, I'll support the games worth playing. Nothing more, nothing less.

....Whaaat?Indie?Whaat?

Take my love, take my land..

I am not. In fact I look forward to the XNA Community launch for the XBLM.

ssj12 said:

Honestly, it seems that many people here are either turn up their noses or  running away from indie games. To point out my case we have a perfectly great interview with Lee Hickey from Games Faction in our news section. It has only been dugg 14 times and has had a pathetic amount of hits versus other interviews.

It seems only the PC gamers here understand the beauty of an indie game. It takes a big publisher to pick up a title for it to shine for console gamers. Examples would be fl0w, Alien Hominid, and The Blob.

Can someone explain to me why people here won't try these games or take any interest? It isn't like system requirements of a 2.0Ghz P4 and a GPU as strong as a Radeon 9600 is something that could make a modern laptop from WalMart strain itself.

Cause Indie games hardly ever show up on the consoles unless a big dev picks it up?

ssj12 said:
nordlead said:
First off, I generally don't play PC games, along with the vast majority of visitors of this site. This is a console centric site, so I'm not surprised by the lack of interest in PC related things.

also, in my opinion indie games lack 1 of two things in general

1) Length
2) Polish

I personally do not know of any highly polished indie game that lasts 20 or more hours.

World of Goo has my interest, along with a few other indie games, but they are more to fill the gaps between Tales of Symphonia, Wario Land, and other big releases.

polish? as in graphics? graphics dont make game. Gameplay is what makes a game fun. Also most indie titles are free or dirt cheap so you shouldn't expect super fantastically long games.

Polish doesn't mean graphics.  It means tighetning up everything in the programming and gameplay.

For example a game that's great... but has one or two AI exploits or something else that makes it real easy... or a glitch or two that makes the gameplay harder then it's supposed to be... etc.