By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does it seem people here are scared of indie games?

Honestly, it seems that many people here are either turn up their noses or  running away from indie games. To point out my case we have a perfectly great interview with Lee Hickey from Games Faction in our news section. It has only been dugg 14 times and has had a pathetic amount of hits versus other interviews.

It seems only the PC gamers here understand the beauty of an indie game. It takes a big publisher to pick up a title for it to shine for console gamers. Examples would be fl0w, Alien Hominid, and The Blob.

Can someone explain to me why people here won't try these games or take any interest? It isn't like system requirements of a 2.0Ghz P4 and a GPU as strong as a Radeon 9600 is something that could make a modern laptop from WalMart strain itself.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

First off, I generally don't play PC games, along with the vast majority of visitors of this site. This is a console centric site, so I'm not surprised by the lack of interest in PC related things.

also, in my opinion indie games lack 1 of two things in general

1) Length
2) Polish

I personally do not know of any highly polished indie game that lasts 20 or more hours.

World of Goo has my interest, along with a few other indie games, but they are more to fill the gaps between Tales of Symphonia, Wario Land, and other big releases.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

1/ do you consider Mount&Blade as an indie game ?

2/ do you consider Sins of the solar empire as an indie game ?

Because I m playing the first one and I have the second

(but I didnt check your interview, sorry)

Time to Work !

I love indie games. But I'm largely done with PC gaming. When they get around to showing a WiiWare game, let me know.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

nordlead said:
First off, I generally don't play PC games, along with the vast majority of visitors of this site. This is a console centric site, so I'm not surprised by the lack of interest in PC related things.

also, in my opinion indie games lack 1 of two things in general

1) Length
2) Polish

I personally do not know of any highly polished indie game that lasts 20 or more hours.

World of Goo has my interest, along with a few other indie games, but they are more to fill the gaps between Tales of Symphonia, Wario Land, and other big releases.

polish? as in graphics? graphics dont make game. Gameplay is what makes a game fun. Also most indie titles are free or dirt cheap so you shouldn't expect super fantastically long games.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network
famousringo said:
I love indie games. But I'm largely done with PC gaming. When they get around to showing a WiiWare game, let me know.

you should know you dont have to upgrade for indie titles though. Thats the beauty of them.

"VGC interviews Lee Hickey from Games Faction"

I don't know who Lee Hickey is, nor do I know what Games Faction has done, which is why I personally did not bother reading it. It isn't that I'm "scared" of Indie games, but a game like this would take effort on my part to find (I'm not very big on PC gaming).

I'm also tight on money, so I'm skeptical about those that haven't yet proven themselves to me. I did notice there's a demo for this though, so I'll at least check it out.

I love indie games but I'm not into pc games... There are a lot of great indie games on Wiiware and xbla. I think most people here thought Lostwind and Braid were truly innovative games and they are kinda indie.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

People are hesitant to try things they dont know about.

Many people look at the media and accept whatever is shoved in their face is worth getting.

Some may think that the word indie means less of a game compared to a big budget title.

Most people are just plain idiots. :)

Its just naturally hard to get people to part with their money on a title they've never heard of before and doesn't get major buzz around it.