By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here supports T. Boone Pickens' Energy Plan?

those are nice solutions, but not proven.
We have many proven solutions, like solar and tidal/ocean.
In fact the best probable working solution is algae farms, which is seeing amazing headway, you should check it out!!

Around the Network

What about a Mac gun for that orbiting solar station? Light 'em up Cortana!!!!

It would take an algae farm the size of the state of Texas to produce enough hydrogen to supply the energy needs of the whole world. It would take about 25,000 square kilometres to be sufficient to displace gasoline use in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_hydrogen_production

Scientists think it is possible to have a solar power plant in space and then use microwaves to transmit the power down to earth. In fact, the Discovery and Science Channels teams up and did something with new technologies like that to "fight global warming" but it would be really tricky and really expensive not to mention the national security aspect of it would be terrible. Imagine is someone sent a missile out into space and knocked one of them out.

exactly cwbys, algae power plants are all the rage right now, you will see them become much more useful in the future.

Around the Network

Not to mention algae soaks up a shit load of co2

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

cwbys21 said:
Scientists think it is possible to have a solar power plant in space and then use microwaves to transmit the power down to earth. In fact, the Discovery and Science Channels teams up and did something with new technologies like that to "fight global warming" but it would be really tricky and really expensive not to mention the national security aspect of it would be terrible. Imagine is someone sent a missile out into space and knocked one of them out.

If we deflect solar energy towards the Earth (which would otherwise have missed it), aren't we going to make the planet even warmer?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

cwbys21 said:
@sam, yes it is possible to have a nuclear fusion reactor. they have one in Europe that all the western world is pouring billions of dollars into. the problem is that it works, but it takes more energy to support it than it puts out, not a good thing. And I don't know much about Picken's plan, but I am sure that the environmentalists and their friends in congress (which numbers way to many) won't let us do anything close to it.

There is a project for a prototype fusion reactor planned for 2018 in Europe.....but not all of the kinks have been worked out yet and that is the whole point of this reactor.  nothing yet has been done for fusion though.

Personally, I would love to get off of the oil bandwagon so that we wouldn't have to buy from the middle east and deal with their terrorism.  I mean, we only involve ourselves w/ the middle east b/c of oil, and the arabs react to that like hornets so not buying oil will mean no more 9/11's.  Heck, I also want a cheap electric bill too :)                              

NJ5 said:
cwbys21 said:

If we deflect solar energy towards the Earth (which would otherwise have missed it), aren't we going to make the planet even warmer?

It's just microwaves, a lot like radio waves but I see your point.  Instead, compare vibrating the earth just a little bit with a coal plant belching out smoke, C02, etc which just can't be good for the environment can it?

Btw, the japanese are planning on launching a sattelite like this, or getting somebody else to launch it, mabey china or the US, but either way, the japanese look to have a really cool geeky way of getting energy in the future.  I think that it could work, I mean, the sun has to be a LOT brighter out in space where you don't have clouds or the atmosphere blocking the sun, so a lot more energy could get to the solar cells up in space.

dallas said:
NJ5 said:
cwbys21 said:

It's just microwaves, a lot like radio waves but I see your point. Instead, compare vibrating the earth just a little bit with a coal plant belching out smoke, C02, etc which just can't be good for the environment can it?

Btw, the japanese are planning on launching a sattelite like this, or getting somebody else to launch it, mabey china or the US, but either way, the japanese look to have a really cool geeky way of getting energy in the future. I think that it could work, I mean, the sun has to be a LOT brighter out in space where you don't have clouds or the atmosphere blocking the sun, so a lot more energy could get to the solar cells up in space.

It doesn't matter how the energy is transmitted (microwaves or otherwise). The point is that more energy is being redirected to earth, where it will be used and converted to (mostly) heat. I guess it's still much better than burning coal (as long as it guarantees this coal won't be burned anyway, which is kind of hard), but it seems worse than ground-based solar panels, whose sole effect is to send the sun's energy away to other places on earth.

It seems to me that this is akin to turning up the sun's strength, although I don't know by how much.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957