By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yes another anti-LBP thread.

Here's my unbiased opinion:

*Note: I haven't played yet. These are just observations.

First, the game looks stunning. I can't stress enough how much I love the graphics and art style.
Second, this game has limitless potential. At this point, I think anything is possible.

That being said, even though it is a hybrid/cross-genre videogame, it is a platformer before anything else. From what I've observed, the jumping looks EXTREMELY frustrating. Just from what I've seen. I know so many things are possible, but platforming plays a huge role. I couldn't even finish watching some videos because just WATCHING the jumping had me furious.

Around the Network
Fayceless said:
ultimate_123 said:

You also have to spend a lot of time creating levels only for them to turn out to be roughly 2-5 minutes long. I mean whats the points in spending 2 hours if the level only turned out to be 2-5 minutes long?

I don't really have any opinion of LBP, as I haven't really looked into it much, but please stop and think about this for a moment.

It takes months or years to create a 2 hour movie or 20-40 hour game. Authors spend months writing a novel that can be read in hours to days. I write music, and it certainly takes me longer than two hours to write a song that's five minutes long. I can spend days or weeks making something, refining and perfecting it.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with the game or the editors, it is more likely due the fact that anything worth playing/reading/watching/etc. takes time to make. The time required to make a level in LBP, according to your post, makes quite a bit of sense.

If you could throw together a level in a couple minutes, it would probably turn out bad. (look at the Smash Bros. level editor) It should actually be encouraging news to LBP fans that it takes a while to make a level, as that is a sign that the editor can probably actually be used to make good levels.

Good post,

lol I wish the OP's logic would be that easy and I wouldn't have to spend hours upon hours working on footage to produce the final video.

MontanaHatchet said:
Untouch said:
Go Go sony defence force!

Go go unnecessary posts! Seriously, what's the point of posting something like that? I've always wondered this...

I was actually fine with this thread until the creator implied that because he didn't like the game, that no one else will and that it will end up with an average score despite already having a 10/10 review and getting positive response from nearly every major gaming site. And he doesn't even own a PS3, meaning that he either played it at a friend's house or he's lying.

Let's not fool ourselves. 10/10 is worthless now and half of the games that get it don't deserve it. When really well made and actual revolutionary games come out they get 9.5 at best, but usually lower. The games that are vastly over hyped are the ones that get a 10/10. Game critics are pretty much worthless and they should just be fired and start freash. Gamespot had the right idea.

Now, OP's complaint is something a lot of players will find. If we take his concerns as true then many players may get board after making a level or two. Gameplay can't be ignored and if there is no substance or depth to it, then it wont be worth it to make more levels.

The more I see clips of this game the more it does look like a Artsie Fartsie type of game. It looks like all eye candy with little substance for game play. There is nothing wrong with that but when I get home from work to unwind... This game wont do it for me at all. I think it would just frustrate me more then anything.

I have only seen the Youtube videos posted on this site with the user created levels and they all look boring. The levels look pretty but dont look challenging... I am sure levels can be very hard if made that way but it would just be more frustrating because Sackboy moves super slow.... If I had a PS3 I would pass on this and get the other good PS3 games coming out more to my liking.

noslodecoy said:
makingmusic476 said:
ultimate_123 said:

I've played LBP so you cannot say that I'm being a fanboy.

OK first of all I'd like to say this: AMAZING GRAPHICS. WOW. The graphics truely are amazing and so are the physics. This truely does show off the PS3s power.

However...

The gameplay is not very exciting. Its basically like a 2-d sidescroller with good graphics and physics. It really is get from point 'a' to point 'b'. Now I know nearly all games are from points a to b but this game has it in a very bait way. Also the user created content is exciting but very little of it includes gameplay, most of it is just jumping and seeing the stuff happen. Where's the gameplay in that? You also have to spend a lot of time creating levels only for them to turn out to be roughly 2-5 minutes long. I mean whats the points in spending 2 hours if the level only turned out to be 2-5 minutes long? Overall while I absolutely love the graphics there isn't much behind it. I expect a average score of 65-80 on Metacritic.

1. You must hate all 2D platformers.

2. You obviously haven't played too many user made levels yet (though I find it hard to believe you've played the game at all). Have you tried the Wipeout level?  Involiving a makeshift vehicle jetting up and around ramps until you eventually reach the end? It hardly involves just jumping around.

Hell, so far I've spent the majority of my time just palying random user made levels, and I've been having a blast!  I thought I'd spend most of my time in create mode, but I've barely messed around with it so far.

Edit:

The Wipeout level...

See this is exactly what I still do not get about the game.  What exactly was done in the video posted above?  It doesn't really look like there was any real interaction.  I am by no means trying to belittle the game, I just still don't see the game play.  Perhaps it can't be properly displayed via video.  Obviously it's a good game from everything I've read, but every example I see seems underwhelming.  Perhaps it just needs to be played?

The main point of that video was to point out that not all levels consist only of simple platforming.

And yes, I'd say you would have yo play the game to really get a feel for what it's like.

Around the Network
BILL COSBY!!! said:
jingho said:
ya...the gameplay is the main point why we play a a game
LBP does not seem to satisfy people who really want to play games but not creating games
I mean,why are we doing this in a game?We are not artist,We want to play sports,shoot somebody and kick some ass in games,why bother doing something meaningless and tedious
2 hours for a 2-5 minutes video, come on~~~

Have you ever thought of downloading the millions of things people will create. It's not like you have to make things too. Lucky for people  like you I actually enjoy making levels.

if everybody thinks he/she is going to download the things made by others without paying time to create anything,who will still bother creating games and I doubt there are still millions of things for you to download.LBP certainly cannot guarantee there will be constant supply of games created by other players.I guess some players wont even go online.If so,what are you buying this game for?only to spend hours for creating a several minutes thing.I hardly see it's fair enough....

makingmusic476 said:
ultimate_123 said:

OK first of all I'd like to say this: AMAZING GRAPHICS. WOW. The graphics truely are amazing and so are the physics. This truely does show off the PS3s power.

However...

The gameplay is not very exciting. Its basically like a 2-d sidescroller with good graphics and physics. It really is get from point 'a' to point 'b'. Now I know nearly all games are from points a to b but this game has it in a very bait way. Also the user created content is exciting but very little of it includes gameplay, most of it is just jumping and seeing the stuff happen. Where's the gameplay in that? You also have to spend a lot of time creating levels only for them to turn out to be roughly 2-5 minutes long. I mean whats the points in spending 2 hours if the level only turned out to be 2-5 minutes long? Overall while I absolutely love the graphics there isn't much behind it. I expect a average score of 65-80 on Metacritic.

1. You must hate all 2D platformers.

2. You obviously haven't played too many user made levels yet (though I find it hard to believe you've played the game at all). Have you tried the Wipeout level?  Involiving a makeshift vehicle jetting up and around ramps until you eventually reach the end? It hardly involves just jumping around.

Hell, so far I've spent the majority of my time just palying random user made levels, and I've been having a blast!  I thought I'd spend most of my time in create mode, but I've barely messed around with it so far.

Edit:

The Wipeout level...

Japan will eat this game for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The more I read about this game the more I can't help wondering why they didn't a 4-5 hour story mode with this game? Then you'd tap into your customer base base that's interested in a 2D platformer with true next-gen graphics and pick up the mod. fans.

flagship said:
The more I read about this game the more I can't help wondering why they didn't a 4-5 hour story mode with this game? Then you'd tap into your customer base base that's interested in a 2D platformer with true next-gen graphics and pick up the mod. fans.

you obviously haven't read about the game then.  There is a 50+ level story.

ultimate_123 said:

However...

hmm... sidescroller.... platformer... mario was a sidescrolling platformer... LBP is a sidescrolling platformer.... so I dont see why this is a bad thing.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453