By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Real Reason Blu-Ray is struggling to take market share.

XGamer0611 said:

Before I start this thread I remind everyone that this is my opinion and nothing more. I base this opinion on what I've heard people say regardind Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray discs are a great hi-def media. Movies look crystal clear and sound is awesome. However, it has struggled to take market share from DVD. Here are a few reasons why it has failed to do so:

- DVDs are dirt cheap. New releases if purchased the week of release go for only $14.99. Blu-Ray movies have similar deals on release weeks but are not as cheap as the average Blu-Ray release is $29.99.

Iron Man 2-Disc Special Edition: $22.95 at Wal-Mart

Iron Man 2-Disc Blu-ray Special Edition 25.95 at Wal-Mart.

Major difference there........

- Blu-Ray movies are still too expensive. For example the two disc Special Edition of Transformers on DVD is only $19.99. The Blu-Ray edition is $35.99-39.99 depending on the store.

The Dark Knight:

Special Edition DVD: $34.99

Blu-ray Special Edition: $35.99

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom787165QLK/#/40

- Most people don't know what Blu-Ray disc are. I was talking to a friend the other day and told them I had just purchased two Blu-Ray movies. They asked me what is Blu-Ray?

Most new products take a while to get word out, ask people back when DVD was first released what a DVD was.

- HDTV are still a luxury item for most people. Older people 50 and above don't know what HDTVs are and are reluctant to buy them. As a matter of fact most normal people are happy ordering the DTV converter box vs. buying a new TV.

Prices are coming down. Fast.

- Some people say there is no difference or minimal difference between DVD picture (in an upconvert player) and Blu-Ray picture.

- Another thing holding Blu-Ray back is differing cost of older movies. For example, Rambo special edition Blu-Ray box set with the first three Rambo movies is only $29.99-$49.99 depending on the store. The Die Hard set with all 4 Die Hard movies goes from $89.99-$129.99. Albiet the Die Hard set does have one more movie, however, the difference in price between the sets is $60-$80.

Pricing is different in most stores. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart rarely have the same prices for their movies.

- Cost of Blu-Ray players is still expensive. Blu-Ray players need constant firmware updates to access new features on newer movies. The only Blu-Ray player that is kept constantly up-to-date in the PS3 which costs $399. Most novice folks looking for a Blu-Ray player will not buy a PS3 as they think of it as only a gaming system.

You really have no idea what your talking about. Firmware 2.0 is final spec. Nothing else afterwards. BD-Live is a feature meant for internet based additions nothing more. BD-Live = Firmware 2.0. There is NO updates after 2.0. Also prices of players might be $199 this holiday as things are getting cheaper and holiday specials are around the corner. Currently the cheapest player is $248.

What are ways this can be remedied? Have movie companies drop the price of Blu-Ray movies. Make Blu-Ray movies standard price $24.99 for new releases. Have older movies range from $14.99-$19.99. Make Blu-Ray players cheaper, DVDs did not take off until there were sub-$100 players I think Blu-Ray could benefit right now if there were more sub-$200 players. Promote Blu-Ray more. Have you noticed since Sony defeated HD-DVD they have cut back on promoting Blu-Ray. Most novices are still in the dark and don't know what Blu-Ray is.

That is my opinion. What do you think? I just think this format could benefit more if pushed better.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
woopah said:
i really dont care about blu-ray. i just dont really see the need for it when im fine with what i got right now. for the same reason i dont really care about widescreen/plasma screen/HD or whatever

see the problem is, you tv will eventually break down.  and your choices after that are, get an hd tv, not watch tv, or bring in tv from another room.  same with your dvd player.  and I didn't see the point either, until I watched a basketball game at best buy in hd on a 50 inch tv and I could see hairs on a guys head that he missed when he shaved his head.

sungson said:
i don't want to upgrade my collection of dvd's does blu ray play regular dvds

Of course it does,and it upscales the resolution while doing so.