By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - mass effect 2 rumors!

shio said:
cwbys21 said:
Mass Effect used UE? What the hell. Why would Bioware have their own engine that they lease out (ex: The Withcer) and then use Unreal to make Mass Effect?

The Witcher used a heavily modified version of Neverwinter Nights 1's old engine (CD Projekt themselves re-wrote 90% of the engine for the Witcher), so Bioware had no choice but to use another engine.

that doesn't make much sense.  why would bioware have no choice but to use another engine?  it isn't like when cd projekt got their hands on biowares aurora engine bioware didn't have a their copy still sitting around the office.

Around the Network
De85 said:
shio said:
meh, the first Mass Effect was disappointing (though still better than Kotor 1). The Witcher was 2007's RPG of the Year and showed alot of ME1's faults like lack of meaningful choices and side-quests quality.

hopefully ME2 will be bigger and better.

I think the Rachni (especially if that particular rumor is true), Wrex, and the Citadel Council would all disagree with you.  The meaning will be unmistakable after ME2 releases.

I doubt Mass Effect 1 even has 10% of what The Witcher has in real choices. Compare ME1 to Fallout 2, and the percentage drops to 1%.

starcraft said:
The fact that this thread has two replies says much about the userbase makeup of this site.

*sigh*

There's no information, why should there be any posts? When there's actual information about Mass Effect 2, there will be discussion. Until then, not so much.

shio said:
De85 said:
shio said:
meh, the first Mass Effect was disappointing (though still better than Kotor 1). The Witcher was 2007's RPG of the Year and showed alot of ME1's faults like lack of meaningful choices and side-quests quality.

hopefully ME2 will be bigger and better.

I think the Rachni (especially if that particular rumor is true), Wrex, and the Citadel Council would all disagree with you.  The meaning will be unmistakable after ME2 releases.

I doubt Mass Effect 1 even has 10% of what The Witcher has in real choices. Compare ME1 to Fallout 2, and the percentage drops to 1%.

It takes a lot more time to create content for a game like Mass Effect than one like Fallout 2.  Isometric RPGs on PCs were well known for having shit tons of content, ie. Baldurs Gate 1/2, etc.  I would rather have a more fully visualized 3d world than making a choice about whether or not to ass rape a kid.  But don't get me wrong, I loved the **** out of Baldurs Gate.

cwbys21 said:
shio said:
cwbys21 said:
Mass Effect used UE? What the hell. Why would Bioware have their own engine that they lease out (ex: The Withcer) and then use Unreal to make Mass Effect?

The Witcher used a heavily modified version of Neverwinter Nights 1's old engine (CD Projekt themselves re-wrote 90% of the engine for the Witcher), so Bioware had no choice but to use another engine.

that doesn't make much sense.  why would bioware have no choice but to use another engine?  it isn't like when cd projekt got their hands on biowares aurora engine bioware didn't have a their copy still sitting around the office.

because the aurora engine doesn't support Xbox 360, so if Bioware were to use an engine of their own then they might as well make a new engine from scratch.

Around the Network

Not that does makes sense. I wonder why they didn't do like SE did and make an engine that is able to port down to all the consoles? That would be pretty valuable to lend out like Epic is doing and like what SE is thinking about doing with their Crystal Tools engine.

well, they probably thought that making a new engine wouldn't be worth it - Bioware only makes a game every 2 years so it won't cut their costs. Also, UE3 is a licensing-monster and there's the superior Crysis Engine 2... maybe it won't do Bioware much good by trying to go head-to-head against those two.

The fact that development costs of an engine probably increased sharply doesn't help.

I think what Valve does is the smart way to go with in house engines. They don't have an UE1, UE2, UE3. They just continually upgrade their engine. I believe they said this in the interview we had on the site a few days ago.

Deviation59 said:
starcraft said:
The fact that this thread has two replies says much about the userbase makeup of this site.

*sigh*

There's no information, why should there be any posts? When there's actual information about Mass Effect 2, there will be discussion. Until then, not so much.

Cause they are AWESOME rumours.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I saw on XPlay last night that Bioware and EA are working on a game together. They did not say which one. Wonder if this is it?