By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best Film Directors Ever

@BringBackChrono, I've only seen one episode of the Dekalog so far. The one loosely based on Adultery. But in 5 or 6 weeks I'm gonna watch 4 or 5 more in a class, and 2 of his color films.

@akuma, you gotta see the Lynch movies in order to really understand the craziest career ever. Lynch worked on Eraserhead on and off for 6 years straight, disassembling sets and working until he could afford to shoot more, and then rebuilding the sets. It's obviously way too crazy to make any money and almost nobody sees it. But somehow Mel Brooks sees it and goes "this man is a genius!" and hires Lynch to direct the film adaptation of The Elephant Man, and it gets nominated for a billion Oscars. Then George Lucas sees Eraserhead and goes "this man is a genius!" and tries to hire him to direct Return of the Jedi, but Lynch says no because it would be more Lucas's vision than his own. Then Dino De Laurentiis buys the rights to Dune, and sees Eraserhead and/or The Elephant Man and goes "this man is a genius!" and hires him to direct it, hoping for the next Star Wars, but Lynch only agrees under the condition that afterwards, they'll fund his next project and give him complete creative control. He directs Dune, which is amazing, but it flops, and actually helps put Dino De Laurentiis out of business. But they have a deal, so Laurentiis has to fund Blue Velvet, which was a huge success and let Lynch do whatever he wanted. Then came Twin Peaks (which is when he really took over the world even moreso than The Elephant Man or Blue Velvet), some other TV shows, some shorts, a play, and a bunch of stuff all at once. Now he just makes shorts on his web site, releases them himself, works entirely with digital cameras, and edits his own stuff, produces his own stuff, and even makes his own music (his album, BlueBob, is awesome).

With most directors I recommend seeing all their works in order, but I really really really recommend it with David Lynch because it makes everything even crazier and more hilarious.

Around the Network

The Elephant Man has been on my list for awhile, I'd really like to see it.

But currently law school is consuming my life and soul, so we'll see when I get around to it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

There are so many films on my list I need to see, and yet.... film school (and VGChartz of course) is consuming my life and soul. I don't get it. I spend so much time reading and writing about films I don't have time to watch any outside of class. I need to try to watch at least 1 a week that isn't an assignment or something.

This one kid in my class has watched over 900 of the 1000 greatest films of all time (according to this web site: http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_rankingorder.htm ). I've seen 11 of the top 20, or 24 of the top 50, or 33 of the top 100.

I've never seen this web site before. This place is amazing. They update their list every December. You can view the list by ranking, by title, by director, by year, or by country.

6 of David Lynch's 10 films are on it. And Godard has 14 films on this list. Holy shit. Fuck yeah, Bunuel has 15.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
There are so many films on my list I need to see, and yet.... film school (and VGChartz of course) is consuming my life and soul. I don't get it. I spend so much time reading and writing about films I don't have time to watch any outside of class. I need to try to watch at least 1 a week that isn't an assignment or something.

This one kid in my class has watched over 900 of the 1000 greatest films of all time (according to this web site: http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_rankingorder.htm ). I've seen 11 of the top 20, or 24 of the top 50, or 33 of the top 100.

I've never seen this web site before. This place is amazing. They update their list every December. You can view the list by ranking, by title, by director, by year, or by country.

6 of David Lynch's 10 films are on it. And Godard has 14 films on this list. Holy shit. Fuck yeah, Bunuel has 15.

Damn, that kid is a movie fanatic.  I'm jealous.

This site is really damn cool.  Wow, they hated Shawshank.  Its down around #500.  Glad to see they love 8 1/2!

Edit: Ahhhh, WTF, The Usual Suspects isn't even on the list...failure...

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Is it just me, or is The Rear Window one of the more over-rated movies out there?

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network

@The Ghost of RubangB

High five for film SCHOOL! I'm spending too much time making a film atm to watch them. Poor me :)

You're in film school? You made any films yet? The only reason I'm not making films is because here at Berkeley I'm in a "film studies" program right now, which focuses more on film theory, film history, film analysis, etc. than film production and film editing, but I did enough of that at community college.

Here are my old films from fall 2002 and spring 2003.

Buttermilk (18:32, film final for beginning film class)
Vinyl Vigilantes (4:45)
LEVEL 03 (5:39)
Monster Party (6:28, film final for intermediate film class)

Everybody better edit their posts about the best film directors ever to include me now.

I study what my uni likes to call the moving image. Essentially its a traditional film and television production course with new media, animation etc thrown in. Its a pretty relevant course really. Its less theoretical and more practical in its focus, so for assessments we have to find work in crews and get a certain amount of hours in that role on top of the usual shorts you do (plus the essays etc).

Here's an example of some work I did for a fashion house http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klsDEBqRx_M I co-shot it with hd cameras and edited it. Make sure you select "high quality", the image is much improved.

In regards to films. A feature film that my mates and I are self funding just started filming today :)