By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Here we go again, Dow plunges

Its a fuckin nightmare. Though i did just buy BHP shares that are incredibly cheap, more than 50% less than the peak.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I wonder if this will help nintendo gain third party support. I mean, if they could make a same quality game on the the wii as on the 360, why not? Minigames just arent' going to cut it anymore.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081025/bailout_bonanza.html

It looks like the bailout money is going to be used for everything except what it was originally supposed to. Even automakers want a piece of the pie for god's sake.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

fkusumot said:

Fun Fact: Foreclosures for houses valued at over $1mill have almost doubled in the last year.

I could be wrong but I suspect this is because houses over $1 Million were more over-valued than most homes in the housing market, many people who bought these houses (foolishly) stretched to get the largest loans they possibly could (thinking that house values ‘always’ go up) and wealthier people are (potentially) more likely to cut there losses and walk away from a home that is worth (far) less than the mortgage.

Its ironic, but this whole financial mess is the best thing to happen to ME financially (sure I'm in the minority here :P).

Its forced Australian interest rates down - meaning I save immediate, and real money on my house interest payments.

Its also forced the AU down significantly - meaning every $1US my company earns has turned from $1.10AU to almost $1.50AU.

I really doubt that Melbourne house prices will drop at all as well - with the extra "home owners grant", lower interest rates, and such a under-supply of rental properties. If one thing would ever completely *destroy* the Australian economic base here - its a significant drop in house value. Just about everyone I know who owns property, uses their house as leverage to get lots of credit (and owe heaps).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Last time US speculation destroyed the world economy (1929), a World War followed. Since the fuze is already lit in the middle east, there wil be plenty of factory work soon.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

dont say that shit. Wasn't Iraq already an economic boost for the big weapons industries.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Vertigo-X said:

@fkusumot: What do you think about him blaming this on Democrats, though? Even if he didn't get the specifics right about the causes of the housing crisis, does he have a point with regards to the irresponsibility displayed by the Dems?

No. The blame goes to government. It's not like anyone is that surprised that there was an implosion in the sub-prime market. The only thing they didn't count on is how illiquid and worthless the CDO's and Credit Swaps would become when it was time to shit or get off the pot.

The Republicans get more blame because it happened on their watch and they're getting punished for it this election. That's certainly not to say that lobbyists for investment banks weren't contributing money to the campaigns of Democrats who held key votes. This was a really big fuck-up on both sides and a repudiation of libertarian economics. On the position of regulation Democrats and Republicans are probably going to agree more so then less so, of course they'll put their own little spin on things to make it appear that they are diametrically opposed.

fkusumot said:
Vertigo-X said:

@fkusumot: What do you think about him blaming this on Democrats, though? Even if he didn't get the specifics right about the causes of the housing crisis, does he have a point with regards to the irresponsibility displayed by the Dems?

No. The blame goes to government. It's not like anyone is that surprised that there was an implosion in the sub-prime market. The only thing they didn't count on is how illiquid and worthless the CDO's and Credit Swaps would become when it was time to shit or get off the pot.

The Republicans get more blame because it happened on their watch and they're getting punished for it this election. That's certainly not to say that lobbyists for investment banks weren't contributing money to the campaigns of Democrats who held key votes. This was a really big fuck-up on both sides and a repudiation of libertarian economics. On the position of regulation Democrats and Republicans are probably going to agree more so then less so, of course they'll put their own little spin on things to make it appear that they are diametrically opposed.

I don't see how this could be a repudiation of libertarian economics because you could argue that a large portion of the problem was caused by quasi-governmental organizations (like the Federal Reserve, Freddy Mac, and Fanny May). Beyond this, you can't ignore that many banks were being "encouraged" to take on high risk loans by the government in order to increase home ownership for poor people.

In my opinion, this crisis is just another example of the government creating larger problems when they try to solve a problem. The government is like a carpenter who chooses to use large spikes rather than finishing nails and is (somehow) always surprised when they crack the wood.

HappySqurriel said:

I don't see how this could be a repudiation of libertarian economics

No. The heart of darkness was unregulated markets. Ask Alan Greenspan. He said so last week. I hear he used to be a Libertarian and a follower of Ayn Rand. Well, I used to be a Libertarian and a follower of Ayn Rand too so I guess that doesn't mean much.