By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Comprehensive Console JRPG Thread.

Beja-Beja said:
Demon Soul is published by Sony. Developed from From Software so does that make it 2nd party?

Ah I thought From Software was publishing as well.  Thanks.

Okay, so what do you guys want?  A more strict view of level increase only or a broader view of any Japanese game that has some form of character stat customization (even if it's just through purchased equipment)?

Around the Network
naznatips said:
In Pokemon as has been said they are your party, and what types of enemies you face determines how the stats are distributed through EVs so it is a customizable increase system.

...Wait, so if you level up in a set of stats but have no way to customize them as you level, it's not a JRPG?

Khuutra said:
naznatips said:
In Pokemon as has been said they are your party, and what types of enemies you face determines how the stats are distributed through EVs so it is a customizable increase system.

...Wait, so if you level up in a set of stats but have no way to customize them as you level, it's not a JRPG?

In my opinion that's correct.  An RPG is a role-playing game, and if there is no way to customize at all what are you actually determining for your character?

I guess the wii has the most RPGs then.

naznatips said:
Khuutra said:
naznatips said:

In my opinion that's correct.  An RPG is a role-playing game, and if there is no way to customize at all what are you actually determining for your character?

That's an entirely different can of worms, though. JRPGs aren't RPGs in the stricter sense of the word at all, because you have no influence over how the story goes. The way you leel your stats is paltry compared to that.

You realize this rules out the original Final Fantasy, right? I mean, yeah, you pick your stating party, but their stat growth is pre-determined at level one

I think it rules out Dragon Quest, too

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
naznatips said:
Khuutra said:
naznatips said:

That's an entirely different can of worms, though. JRPGs aren't RPGs in the stricter sense of the word at all, because you have no influence over how the story goes. The way you leel your stats is paltry compared to that.

You realize this rules out the original Final Fantasy, right? I mean, yeah, you pick your stating party, but their stat growth is pre-determined at level one

I think it rules out Dragon Quest, too

Okay well then do you want it to be reduced to games that only have level increase systems or do you want it to include games that involve character customization as well, even if it's just large amounts of new equipment?

Oh Lord I dunno boss-man that ain't really for me to say

I guess what I'm getting at is that 'JRPG' is a phrase which has less to do with role-playing than it does a certain mode of Japanese game development, i. e. typically turn-based linearly-plot-driven combatfests where you level up and gain experience as an indication of your character's represented power.

The thing is that both of those definitions that you gave me would make most recent Castlevania games into JRPGs and I just don't know if that sits well with me.

it's your topic, you do whatever you please with it, I was just arguing a point - no intent to necessarily change anything.

How about this as a simple definition: Some sort of statistics that account for skills or aspects of a character, and some method of increasing and strengthening those statistics.

Fairly straightforward and covers things pretty well right?  That would mean I would add Monster Hunter, Steambot Chronicles, and Folklore.

naznatips said:

How about this as a simple definition: Some sort of statistics that account for skills or aspects of a character, and some method of increasing and strengthening those statistics.

Fairly straightforward and covers things pretty well right?  That would mean I would add Monster Hunter, Steambot Chronicles, and Folklore.

Also MLB Power Pros and MLB Power Pros 2008 under that definition.

Of course it fit the definition of RPG before as well.... unless you include that it NEEDS fighting or something.

The game reminds me of Sports Night.  Truley brilliant but unpopular because most of the target audience won't pay any attention because it has a sports theme... and the people buying it for the sports them mostly won't get the  RPG modes.

Kasz216 said:
naznatips said:

Fairly straightforward and covers things pretty well right? That would mean I would add Monster Hunter, Steambot Chronicles, and Folklore.

Also MLB Power Pros and MLB Power Pros 2008 under that definition.

Of course it fit the definition of RPG before as well.... unless you include that it NEEDS fighting or something.

The game reminds me of Sports Night. Truley brilliant but unpopular because most of the target audience won't pay any attention because it has a sports theme... and the people buying it for the sports them mostly won't get the RPG modes.

So then NHL 09 is a WRPG?  No, it's not.  Let's use at least a little common sense here.