By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo won E3 2007

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=122468 

Analyst: Nintendo won E3 2007
by GamePro Staff | 07/16/2007 | 11:49:33 AM PST

In the spirit of "who won E3" from year's past, GamePro speaks with respected industry analyst Michael Pachter on which of the big three console makers had the best showing this year.

"I'd have to say that Nintendo won," Pachter said in regards to the most exiting or disruptive conference this year. "They had new hardware and decent software introductions."

But Pachter didn't think that way until news broke on Friday that the new, cheaper PS3s would soon be discontinued. "Sony had seized the show until the 'discontinued' 60Gb issue arose, and that hurt them by confusing their price cut."

"Microsoft had decent software to show, but no price cut," he added suggesting the much rumored price drop would have been a good thing for Xbox 360 being that its sales have gradually declined in recent months according to NPD.

"It wasn't a very impressive show overall, so it's not like anyone was a 'loser,'" he maintained.

On the topic of how next year's E3 could be improved, Pachter noted that he liked the intimacy and accessiblity of game demonstrations, but missed the grandeur of last year's showing. "I think that the spectacle creates a vibe in and of itself, and it makes the overall show much more fun," he said. "This show was not fun at all."

The analyst concluded that a show about half the size of last year's 60,000 attendees would be ideal when compared to just 5,000 this year, and that he'd like to see the expo earlier in the year as opposed to July.

Around the Network

I hate Pachter

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I have no clue what to make of this man.

Pachter is usually wrong, so for the sake of consistency let's say he's wrong this time as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Pachter is usually wrong, so for the sake of consistency let's say he's wrong this time as well.

I agree... but this time I am afraid that he got a point. 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

Well, he is usually wrong with predictions. As far as this statement, it is just opinion. Everyone has their own view on who won.

Pacther is all over the map.

Frankly, I think he says stuff like "Nintendo won E3," when most video game journalists believe that Sony won, and "the PS3 will win this generation," when that isn't close to happening right now, just because it stirs discussion and grabs a bunch of attention for him.

Would we have posted this if he said: "Sony wins! I agree with most other game journalists!" No, we wouldn't have, which is why he didn't say that.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

While people think that Nintendo's E3 wasn't good because they didn't shove boatloads of unannounced "hardcore" titles, i think that Nintendo may have "won" in a sense. With the showing of WiiFit, the media will take that and show it off to the World. The nes of WiiFit will push Nintendo's Software and Hardware sales greatly and most likely at that time it will be pushed past the 360.

Now that Nintendo released WiiFit for the media, the hype for it will increase alot more than if it were to be announced later, and will give Nintendo the most success. But that's just what i think, nothing more. 

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

People who are not FPSer fans will all say that nintendo won. I wonder what will happen when MP3 comes out...

euclid said:
People who are not FPSer fans will all say that nintendo won. I wonder what will happen when MP3 comes out...

MP3 is not a FPS so I don't know what you are talking about.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!