By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Middle East Video Game Market

Industry must embrace the Middle East

Development legend Ian Livingstone says Microsoft will have to tackle piracy to challenge its rival in region

Eidos creative director Ian Livingstone has predicted great things for the Middle Eastern market – but warned Microsoft and Nintendo that they will have to protect themselves from piracy to compete with Sony in the territory.

Last week Livingstone gave the keynote speech at Games ‘08 in Dubai, the first cross-industry games event in the region. Sony and Microsoft joined the likes of Activision, EA, Midway, Sega, THQ and Ubisoft at the event.

Livingstone told MCV that the market is “growing very quickly” – supporting PriceWaterHouseCooper’s forecast that the total Middle East, European and African markets will be worth US$15.4 billion by 2011.

“PlayStation is the dominant brand with significant installed bases in the Gulf Co-operation Council with over four million PS2s, over one million PSPs and around 200,000 PS3s” he said.

“The Middle Eastern video games market today is worth $750m, of which $600m is made up of hardware and peripherals.

“The important statistic is that sales are growing 30 per cent year-on-year.”

Livingstone added that Xbox 360 is showing signs of growth, but is suffering from illegal activity, leaving it at risk of being snubbed by third parties compared to the PS3.

“Xbox 360 is growing but suffers from piracy – particularly in Saudi Arabia,” he added.

“PS3 is not yet pirated and the trade is now starting to see the potential of this platform.”

Link

Around the Network

i live in Saudi Arabia! the ps3 is definitely the most popular even though no pirated games

Initiating social expirement #928719281

I don't really agree with this at all. Me living in the middle east (UAE). There is so much piracy that not so many games sell. Hell anyone I know that has a Ps2 always buy pirated games. I guess the reason for this is because games are way over priced here. The last time i saw Wiifit for example was about 500DHS (which is about 136 dollars). And Mario kart Wii was really over priced at around 300DHS (about 82$). Halo 3 games were all way above the normal price of the game as well (At least 80$>). DS games are also so overpriced (The games are about 50$ plus).
People here mostly buy consoles that get pirated the most (Ps2 and Ps1). Now though a new trend is setting with Wii oddly ;/ The last time my friend bought a pirated Wii game from Saudi, the games stopped working after 2 days (Mario galaxy and One piece). Besides I'm not surprised that this article is against Nintendo and Microsoft because Sony is a well known brand here. Nintendo is catching up like hell in the gaming business though, while Microsoft seems to be losing the race... People here buy multiple Wii's and one or 2 Ps3s (and both consoles are over priced). 360s are seldom bought than usual, and i never see anyone owning a 360.

So what kind of piracy does 360 suffer from? Mod Chips or bootleg games? Cuz if I didn't have money for games I wouldn't chip a 360 knowing that it would break in a few months and I'd be screwed.

kergeten said:
So what kind of piracy does 360 suffer from? Mod Chips or bootleg games? Cuz if I didn't have money for games I wouldn't chip a 360 knowing that it would break in a few months and I'd be screwed.

at my local electronics shop, it's both.

I'm in Tanzania at the moment, but we get 95%+ of our electronic stuff from UAE/Dubai

Proud Sony Rear Admiral