By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGChartz Playstation Trophy League

mwuhahahaha

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

Around the Network

Thanks for the update,

Been trading like crazy on Uncharted and now only 1 bounty away from my 60th Platinum.

Esquoret said:
Thanks for the update, Arc.

After that ending, Mass Effect has becoming my favourite series ever!

Did you forget sarcasm tags?

fadetoone said:
Arcturus said:
I'm looking forward to Diablo 3, but I'm not sure my laptop can run it. Anyone know if the analyses performed at www.systemrequirementslab.com/ are accurate?

I played the open beta over the weekend, and the graphics aren't particularly impressive for current gen games.

I would have to guess if your laptop is fairly new that it would play fine.  I was running it on high settings with a PC I haven't upgraded in probably 3 years and it ran perfectly fine.

I think I'll end up purchasing it and then crossing my fingers and hoping it will run.

I did this when Starcraft II came out. I had an older laptop at the time with less RAM, slower processor, and ancient video card, and I still managed to run the game a bit above the lowest settings.

fadetoone said:
Esquoret said:
Thanks for the update, Arc.

After that ending, Mass Effect has becoming my favourite series ever!

Did you forget sarcasm tags?

Nope, the way I see it is that BioWare is testing gamers, although the backlash is probably more than they expected.

Without going into too much detail (spoilers), I think that the "alternate" reading of the ending makes a lot of sense. The theme/event in that interpretation has been foreshadowed ever since Mass Effect 1, and that's what makes it legit. This technique is more commonly used in films, and even though there are still improvements to be made, BioWare has been brave in using subtlety in gaming narrative, moving our beloved medium forward in sophistication. Combined with the interactive nature (player choice) of the ending, the experience for me was even more impacting than the twist in the first BioShock (which I hold in high regard).

Now having said that, I think the ending is actually only complete when the DLC comes out (they hinted that there would be ending-related DLC even before the big announcement that tried to calm the fan rage, so it's quite obvious it has been planned that way since the beginning). So actually when I praise the ending, it includes the coming clarification, which I believe is intentionally delayed by BioWare in the first place to make things interesting. I can't be certain of their exact reasons to do this, but it's definitely fun looking at the intense gamer reaction, and waiting for BioWare to finally wrap everything up. But I totally understand that this would piss people off (which the company should know, but like I said, they probably didn't expect it to be this serious).

The writers at BioWare know their stuff. It is very unlikely that the same people who made the rest of the game, which was brilliant in an obvious way, would approve an ending filled with plotholes and lore-breaking madness. So I'm confidently accepting that the ending is also brilliant, albeit in a subtle way.

EDIT: Just a further example. I liked Dragon Age 2 - many flaws indeed, including the combat, maps, and general roughness. But still, the story was meaningful. Perhaps not what people expected, but it had important themes and representative characters to deliver the tension. What I'm saying is that there's always a functioning brain behind the story aspect of a BioWare RPG. Absolutely nonsense will certainly be filtered out. And the common, direct interpretation of Mass Effect 3's ending is absolute nonsense, so it's a lot more likely that we, the gamers, are doing/seeing something wrong.

However I agree with the general consensous that it's false adverising when BioWare said that there would be "wildly different conlclusions" (emphasis on quantity). But then again, no Mass Effect game has many different endings to choose from - and we were fine with that. The accumulated choices only mattered for the progress of a final mission (e.g. who lives / who dies), but the ending is still the same, such as in Mass Effect 2 (spoilers coming), no matter what you do, the suicide mission is actually still successful, even when everyone dies. And of course the same could be said about war assets in Mass Effect 3. But yes, I'd also would have liked to see some footage of my war assets in use during the final mission too, so it would have been good if they made it more like Mass Effect 2. But that's to do with the progress of the mission as a whole, a different issue to the actual ending.

So anyways, it's very interesting to say the least. But I think that's what BioWare wants to pull off in the end, and unfortunately most people had a different expectation, so they walk away with a bad taste in their mouth. For me, though, what's happening now (in-game and with the community) is a lot more exciting than a standardly good ending. If anything, it has been a memorable experience.

My website: Precocious Ragamuffin

Around the Network

@Esquoret
You still have the most impressive trophy list I've ever seen. Platinum or 100% complete in every single game you've ever played! Nice, 100% in Arkham City too.

Wait, hold on... what happened to Uncharted 3!? Only 3%

HideoK said:
@Esquoret
You still have the most impressive trophy list I've ever seen. Platinum or 100% complete in every single game you've ever played! Nice, 100% in Arkham City too.

Some on my friends list has crazy collection.

http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/VlETNAM-

http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/CompSci88

http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/Jeankarlo

Tbone said:
HideoK said:
@Esquoret

ANd I thought I was cool with my 83.5%.........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Tbone said:
HideoK said:
@Esquoret

ANd I thought I was cool with my 83.5%.........

I'm surprised I'm still over 70% with all of the games I seem to start and never get 100% in nowadays...

HideoK said:
@Esquoret

To be honest I think many people in our league could most certainly do the same, if not better, if they wanted to. I have to do it because it's a personality thing - I abandoned my account last time that it became impossible to achieve a platinum trophy in Brutal Legend due to the online server being broken and stats keep resetting. I might have mentioned this before. It's kinda of a sad behavour.

So anyways, my rules are simple: Platinum all retail games, 100% in PSN titles. DLC is optional, but it's either get all DLC trophies or none at all.

That's the reason I went back to get Arkham City back to 100%. Well, actually, I got the platinum while also playing as the Catwoman, so in fact I touched DLC early on. However I was tempted to break my own rules because at that time I couldn't be bothered to spend all that time with Robin and Nightwing just for a few bronze trophies. But, as you know, they announced the Harley Quinn DLC recently, which has story so it's a must get, therefore I thought I'll finish up Robin and Nightwing challenges after all. Was alright since I've rested from the game for months.

I'm glad that I can be happy with being able to not touch DLC at all, since there are games that I know could be impossible (or at least a great pain) for me to get it to 100%, such as Mirror's Edge or a few with tough multiplayer requirements.

Tbone has linked a few trophy profiles. While the first is a broken link, the second guy, "CompSci88", seems to have an impressive list, having the goal of getting everything to 100% (still working on Black Ops I presume). But I'm willing to bet that he has skipped playing a few games to maintain that profile. The third guy, "Jeankarlo", seems to have a very similar approach to me (interesting that he also chose to ignore Mirror's Edge DLC). If I keep it up for 5 more years then my profile could look something like that.

The lucky thing for me is that I genuinely have no interest in fighting, racing, sports, and most Japanese RPGs. So that's rids a lot of pressure.

Oh, and don't worry about Uncharted 3, I'm gonna finish that next month. As you can see, I had merely gotten the two online trophies for now - puts my mind at ease that everything else is singleplayer. Even though those 2 trophies are extremely simple online trophies, it shows that I'm quite sensitive to multiplayer components. And it's always good to do them early, when more people are playing.

Anyways, platinum trophy hunting will die down for me this year. I got to the 50-platinum mark in about 2 years. But I'm estimating for this year I'll probably only get around 15 (or maybe less), due to Diablo 3, a busier schedule, and a possible vacation. But that's okay. It just means I'll focus more on the better games to play.

My website: Precocious Ragamuffin