By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGChartz Playstation Trophy League

KylieDog said:
I think my PS3 has died, it turned off mid playthrough of mass effect 2 and now has a blinking red light when try to turn it on. Googling says a heat problem but the thing was only turned on for 20 minues and wasn't even warm to the touch.

Slim or phat?  That sounds an awful lot like the blinking red light that follows the YLOD, but I assume you'd have recognized that.

Around the Network

@Arcturus thanks for d confirmation

mattbfg said:
@Arcturus thanks for d confirmation

No problem.

KylieDog said:
fadetoone said:
KylieDog said:
I think my PS3 has died, it turned off mid playthrough of mass effect 2 and now has a blinking red light when try to turn it on. Googling says a heat problem but the thing was only turned on for 20 minues and wasn't even warm to the touch.

Slim or phat?  That sounds an awful lot like the blinking red light that follows the YLOD, but I assume you'd have recognized that.

Phat 40GB, had it since about May 2008.  Gonna see if I can fix it long enough to recover save files, my last back-up was last September.  Kind of annoying if I cannot recover them because I am pretty deep into games like Yakuza 3 and various others, looking at hundreds of hours of progress across some games lost.  I did use the cloud saving thing for a few save files but not many since 150MB is pretty limited

Totally doable. I took Ail's great advice, got some guy to fix it for $45, backed up my saves, and bought a slim. I dont know what the rates are for you in the UK, or if you're gonna do it yourself, but your saves are totally retrievable.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

chenguo4 said:
KylieDog said:
fadetoone said:
KylieDog said:

Phat 40GB, had it since about May 2008.  Gonna see if I can fix it long enough to recover save files, my last back-up was last September.  Kind of annoying if I cannot recover them because I am pretty deep into games like Yakuza 3 and various others, looking at hundreds of hours of progress across some games lost.  I did use the cloud saving thing for a few save files but not many since 150MB is pretty limited

Totally doable. I took Ail's great advice, got some guy to fix it for $45, backed up my saves, and bought a slim. I dont know what the rates are for you in the UK, or if you're gonna do it yourself, but your saves are totally retrievable.

it's not worth fixing it yourself, the tools and the paste by themselves will cost you half of what you would pay someone else and it is not that trivial.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Sorry to hear that KylieDog, as I said in this thread mine did something similar (my MGS 4 bundle) a few weeks ago. It sucks, but, on the bright side, I have a much quieter slim now and my sister in law gets my old PS3 for cheap.

Ail said:

it's not worth fixing it yourself, the tools and the paste by themselves will cost you half of what you would pay someone else and it is not that trivial.

False.  Costs around $10 or less for the paste and that's it if you can find someone with a heat gun you can borrow.

I'll give you the 'not that trivial' part though.  It's not bad if you at least somewhat know your way around messing with electronics and watch one of the decent videos out there.

fadetoone said:
Ail said:

False.  Costs around $10 or less for the paste and that's it if you can find someone with a heat gun you can borrow.

I'll give you the 'not that trivial' part though.  It's not bad if you at least somewhat know your way around messing with electronics and watch one of the decent videos out there.

And how many people do you know that have a heat gun lying around ?

And the repair sucks because if it's an old PS3 you have to take out everything to do the repair...( fixing similar issue on 360 is actually easier)

Myself I was lucky the guy that fixed mine used to do that for a living( as a job ofr one of the console makers) and I could see he was serious by the number of 360 he had in his room waiting to be repaired...

Oh Kylie, I should also mention, don't expect your repaired PS3 to stick around for too long. My old one died again a week ago.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Well I just preordered pretty much every game I was planning to buy in September-December period.

Best Buy has an offer where if you preorder 5 titles you get 100$ in reward zone rewards so I preordered the following :

- Skyrim
- Resistance 3
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Batman : Arkham's city
- Uncharted 3